Kenai Peninsula Borough School District, Alaska
|Kenai Peninsula Borough School District|
|Superintendent:||Dr. Steve Atwater|
|Number of schools:||44|
|Website:||School Home Page|
|Board of Education|
|Board president:||Jon Arness|
- 1 About the district
- 2 Superintendent
- 3 School board
- 4 Budget
- 5 Teacher salaries
- 6 Schools in Kenai Peninsula Borough
- 7 Academic Performance
- 8 Issues
- 9 Website evaluation
- 10 Contact information
- 11 External links
- 12 See also
- 13 References
About the districtKenai Peninsula Borough, Alaska. It is the fifth largest borough in Alaska, located southwest of the capital, Juneau. According to the 2010 census, Kenai Peninsula Borough is home to 55,400 residents.
Kenai Peninsula Borough underperformed in comparison to the rest of Alaska in terms of education achievement in 2012. The United States Census Bureau found that 23.5% of Kenai Peninsula Borough residents aged 25 years and older had attained a Bachelor's degree compared to 27.5% for Alaska as a whole.The median household income for Kenai Peninsula Borough was $59,256 compared to $69,014 for the state of Alaska. The percentage of people below poverty level for Kenai Peninsula Borough was 9.1% while it is 9.5% for the state of Alaska.
Note: The United States Census Bureau considers "Hispanic or Latino" to be a place of origin, not a race. Therefore, the Census allows citizens to report both their race and that they are from a "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin simultaneously. As a result, the percentages in each column of the racial demographics table will exceed 100 percent. Each column will add up to 100 percent after removing the "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin percentages, although rounding by the Census Bureau may make the total one- or two-tenths off from being exactly 100 percent. This Ballotpedia page provides a more detailed explanation of how the Census Bureau handles race and ethnicity in its surveys.
The current Superintendent is Dr. Steve Atwater, who has held the position since 2009. Atwater previously served the Lake and Peninsula School District in King Salmon, Alaska.
The Kenai Peninsula school board is composed of nine members serving three-year terms.
|Kenai Peninsula Borough School District|
|Dan Castimore||District 1||2016|
|Tim Navarre||District 2||2015|
|Joe Amess||District 3||2014|
|Penny Vadla||District 4||2014|
|Marty Anderson||District 5||2015|
|Lynn Hohl||District 6||2017|
|Sunni Hilts||District 7||2017|
|Bill Holt||District 8||2014|
|Sunni Hilts||District 9||2015|
School board elections
Members of the Board of Education are elected to three-year terms on a staggered basis. Each election is held on the first Tuesday in October.
Public participation in board meetings
The Kenai Peninsula School Board maintains the following policy on public testimony during board meetings:
The table below displays the budget for Kenai Peninsula Borough School District.
|Expenditures by Category|
|School Year||Staff Expenses||Student Services||Operational Expenses||Debt Service||Other||Budget Total|
|Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget|
Kenai Peninsula Borough School District employed 675 teachers during the 2011-2012 school year. This chart details teacher salaries according to the FY12 Certified Salary Schedule.
|Education achievement||Minimum salary ($)||Maximum salary ($)|
|Certified +36 or More||$47,427||$66,511|
|Certified +54 or More||$48,980||$72,393|
|Certified +72 or More||$50,534||$78,951|
|Certified +90 or More||$52,091||$83,486|
Schools in Kenai Peninsula Borough
Kenai Peninsula Borough School District served 9,148 students during the 2010-11 school year. The district has experienced a steady decrease in enrollment between 2005 and 2011 with the exception of the 2009. The following chart details total enrollment in the district within that time span:
|Year||Enrollment||Year-to-year change (%)|
Kenai Peninsula Borough School District operates 44 schools listed below in alphabetical order:
|Kenai Peninsula Borough Schools|
|Cooper Landing School||K-12|
|Homer Flex School||9-12|
|Homer High School||9-12|
|Homer Middle School||7-8|
|K-Beach Elementary School||K-6|
|Kenai Alternative School||9-12|
|Kenai Central High School||9-12|
|Kenai Middle School||6-8|
|McNeil Canyon Elementary School||K-6|
|Moose Pass School||K-8|
|Mountain View Elementary||K-5|
|Nikiski Middle/High School||6-12|
|Nikiski North Star School||K-5|
|Paul Banks Elementary School||K-2|
|Port Graham School||K-12|
|Redoubt Elementary School||K-6|
|River City Academy||7-12|
|Seward Elementary School||K-6|
|Seward High School||9-12|
|Seward Middle School||7-8|
|Skyview High School||9-12|
|Soldotna Elementary School||K-6|
|Soldotna High School||9-12|
|Soldotna Middle School||7-8|
|Soldotna Montessori School||K-8|
|Spring Creek School||9-12|
|Sterling Elementary School||K-6|
|Susan B English School||K-12|
|Tustumena Elementary School||K-6|
|West Homer Elementary School||3-6|
Kenai Peninsula Borough School District has a graduation rate of 78.4%. The 2012-2013 Standards Based Assessments (SBA) are available from the Alaska Department of Education and Early Development and are listed in the charts below.
Standards Based Assessments
|Standard Based Assessments results, 2012-2013|
|Subject||Percent Tested (%)||Advanced (%)||Proficient (%)||Below Proficient (%)||Fair Below Proficient (%)|
The Kenai Peninsula Borough School District's Kenai Central High School had hydroseed watered by the city despite residents being asked to conserve their water consumption. City manager Rick Koch has said the watering was necessary to prevent the seeds from dying. Following the expansion of water restrictions, city officials ceased the efforts to water the grass.
Last rated on March 9, 2013.
|Transparency grading process|
- The most current budget is listed.
- Budgets are archived for 10 years.
- Administrative Officials
- Department heads are listed for each department.
- Contact information for administrative officials is provided including a mailing address, phone number, and personalized email.
- Elected Officials
- Elected officials are listed with a mailing address, phone number and personalized email.
- The most recent audit is posted.
- Audits dating back to 2001 are available.
- Bids and RFPs are posted online.
- Approved contract statements are provided for vendors.
- Public Records
- The public information officer is identified and maintained by the Superintendent. This person provides a mailing address, phone number and personalized email.
- Tax revenues are broken down by federal, state, and local funding in the budget.
- Local taxes, like property taxes, are available online.
- Academic performance reports for the school are posted online.
- Background Checks
- The criminal background check policy and teacher certification requirements are posted online.
148 North Binkley Street
Soldotna, AK 99669
- Alaska school districts
- List of school districts in Alaska
- Kenai Peninsula Borough School District elections (2013)
- School boards and school board elections
- United States Census Bureau' "2010 Census Date" accessed August 1, 2013
- State of Alaska Division of Elections, "Voter Registration Statistics," accessed February 4, 2014
- United States Census Bureau, "Frequently Asked Questions," accessed April 21, 2014
- Kenai Peninsula Borough School District, "School Board," accessed February 4, 2014
- Kenai Peninsula Borough School District, "Board Policies," accessed February 5, 2014
- Note: This text is quoted verbatim from the original source. Any inconsistencies are attributed to the original source.
- Kenai Peninsula Borough School District, "FY2013 Budget," accessed December 10, 2013
- Kenai Peninsula Borough School District "KPBSD FY12 Certified Salary Schedule" accessed August 2, 2013
- Kenai Peninsula Borough School District, "Annual Budget," accessed August 2, 2013
- [https://www.kpbsd.k12.ak.us/WorkArea/DownloadAsset.aspx?id=22425 Kenai Peninsula Borough School District, "2011-2012 Straight Up Facts 44 diverse schools, 1 district," accessed August 2, 2013]
- Alaska Department of Education and Early Development, "Report Card to the Public," accessed February 5, 2014
- Peninsula Clarion "Kenai watering grass; officials say restrictions observed" accessed August 2, 2013
- Kenai Peninsula Borough School District, Budgets, Accessed: March 9, 2013
- Kenai Peninsula Borough School District, Staff Directory, Accessed: March 9, 2013
- Kenai Peninsula Borough School District, Elected Officials, Accessed: March 9, 2013
- Kenai Peninsula Borough School District, Meeting Calendar, Accessed: March 9, 2013
- Kenai Peninsula Borough School District, Meetings, Accessed: March 9, 2013
- Kenai Peninsula Borough School District, Audits, Accessed: March 9, 2013
- Kenai Peninsula Borough School District, Bids and Bid Recaps, Accessed: March 9, 2013
- Kenai Peninsula Borough School District, Public Records, Accessed: March 9, 2013
- Kenai Peninsula Borough School District, Taxes, Accessed: March 9, 2013
- Kenai Peninsula Borough School District, Assessment, Accessed: March 9, 2013
- Kenai Peninsula Borough School District, Security Check, Accessed: March 9, 2013