Kenai Peninsula Mayoral Powers Proposition (2009)
|Not on Ballot|
| This measure did not or |
will not appear on a ballot
Ordinance 2009-31 would of allowed voters to decide if the borough mayor should continue to run the administration or simply act as a figure head. Current Mayor Dave Carey states that this ordinance would disrupt his duties to govern properly. A hearing was held on July 7, 2009 to discuss the issue. The ordinance was passed to the ballot for public vote by the deadline of August 4, 2009.
Gary Knopp, an assembly man who helps sponsor the ordinance, stated that he introduced the bill to comply with his constituents' requests.
The Borough Assembly met on July 7, 2009 in order to decide whether or not to pass the measure to the October ballot. Public comments were heard in opposition of the ordinance, as well as comments from assembly members themselves. Minutes from the motion are as follows:
- Assembly Members Fischer, Long, Superman, and Pierce spoke in opposition to Ordinance 2009-31.
- Assembly Members Knopp, Smalley, Smith, and Sprague spoke in support of Ordinance 2009-31.
- Assembly President Martin passed the gavel to Vice President Sprague and spoke in support of Ordinance 2009-31. Vice President Sprague returned the gavel.
VOTE ON MOTION TO ENACT:
- Yes: Knopp, Smalley, Smith, Sprague, Martin
- No: Fischer, Long, Pierce, Superman
- Absent: None
MOTION TO ENACT PASSED: 5 Yes, 4 No, 0 Absent
State of Alaska
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Comptroller | Commissioner of the Department of Revenue | Commissioner of Education | Director of Insurance | Director of Agriculture | Commissioner of Natural Resources | Commissioner of Labor and Workforce Development | Regulatory Commission |