|West Virginia State Senate, District 2|
|Bachelor's||University of Missouri-Columbia, 1976|
|Master's||Central Michigan University, 1984|
|Service/branch||United State Marine Corps|
|Years of service||20|
Leonhardt earned his bachelor's degree in Fish and Game Management from the University of Missouri–Columbia in 1976, and his master's degree in Business Management from Central Michigan University in 1984. Leonhardt retired from the United States Marine Corps in 1996 at the rank of Lieutenant Colonel. Currently, Leonhardt and his wife own a 380 acre farm.
Leonhardt's campaign website highlights the following campaign themes:
- Excerpt: "People continue to leave WV (and the 2nd District) for work and opportunities. What has our leadership in Charleston and our representatives done to stop this drain on our state? Nothing. I will do something about this."
- Veterans Issues
- Excerpt: "West Virginia provides more service members per capita than any other state in the nation. Yet according to Military Officer Magazine, November 2013 issue, West Virginia falls way behind states like Texas and nearby Tennessee in welcoming home returning veterans. The fixes aren’t hard if there is someone willing to take up the charge. I will."
- 2nd Amendment
- Excerpt: "As a gun owner and staunch defender of the 2nd Amendment, I will fight every day in Charleston to maintain our Constitutionally protected rights, while those in Washington and liberals want to take them away."
- Business Climate
- Excerpt: "West Virginia is known for maintaining a less than friendly business climate. As a small businessman, I understand both the challenges and opportunities that exist in turniing [sic] a profit in our state and economy. I am dedicated to creating an enviroment [sic] that will encourage other businesses to open their doors and create jobs in northewest [sic] West Virginia."
- Excerpt: "West Virginia students score below the national average in 21 of 24 performance standards. And every year West Virginia has to get a waver against the No Child Left Behind requirements. The recent Efficiency Audit shows we get a very poor return for our buck. We are a long way from addressing those deficiencies."
- Excerpt: "Our roads and bridges especially in rural areas, like most of the 2nd District, are deteriorating and our Governor and Legislature have commissioned another study on what to do. Our ditches are full of debris, with our clay soils drainage has to be the road priority. Our road ditches should not be biological filters. We have to get ahead of the game on this. We have limited resources to direct to our roads, we must find better ways to keep up with the road maintenance."
- Coal Industry
- Excerpt: "I strongly support the coal industry and the coal miners."
Elections for the office of West Virginia State Senate will consist of a primary election on May 13, 2014, and a general election on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was January 25, 2014. Incumbent Larry Edgell is unopposed in the Democratic primary, while Kent Leonhardt is unopposed in the Republican primary.
Leonhardt ran for West Virginia Commissioner of Agriculture in 2012. He was unopposed in the Republican primary on May 8 and was defeated by state senator Walt Helmick in the general election on November 6, 2012.
Incumbent Gus Douglass (D) did not run for re-election.
|West Virginia Commissioner of Agriculture General Election, 2012|
|Election Results West Virginia Secretary of State Election Results Center.|
Leonhardt lost the election to the position of West Virginia Agriculture Commissioner in 2012. During that election cycle, Leonhardt raised a total of $148,560.
|West Virginia Agriculture Commissioner 2012 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Kent Leonhardt's campaign in 2012|
|Eleanor W. Herkness||$1,000|
|Wilma J. Jarrell||$1,000|
|Total Raised in 2012||$148,560|
|Source:Follow the Money|
Leonhardt and his wife, Shirley, own Leonhardt Farm located in Fairview, West Virginia. They also support the Morgantown farmer’s market.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Kent + Leonhardt + West + Virginia + Senate"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- West Virginia State Legislature
- West Virginia State Senate
- West Virginia State Senate District 2
- West Virginia Commissioner of Agriculture
- West Virginia state executive official elections, 2012
- Campaign website
- Kent Leonhardt on Facebook
- Kent Leonhardt on Twitter
- Kent Leonhardt on LinkedIn
- Campaign contributions: 2012
- Leonhardt for West Virginia Agriculture Facebook Page, "Info," Accessed August 9, 2012
- Kent for WV, "Agricultural Career," Accessed August 9, 2012
- Kent for WV, "Issues," accessed March 8, 2014
- West Virginia Secretary of State, "Official primary candidate list," accessed February 7, 2014
- The State Journal, "Republicans name Kent Leonhardt to Ag Commissioner ballot," February 28, 2012
- West Virginia Secretary of State, "Election Results," Accessed November 6, 2012
- LinkedIn, "Kent Leonhardt," accessed March 8, 2014