Kent Malm recall, Central City Public Schools, Nebraska (2014)
A vote about whether to recall Kent Malm from his position as a school board member on the Central City School Board took place on January 14, 2014. Malm was recalled and replaced by Tim Williams.
|Shall Kent Malm be removed from the Office of Central City District 4 School Board Member?|
Recall supporter arguments
An effort to recall Kent Malm from his position on the Board of Education of Central City Public Schools, Nebraska was launched in August 2013. The recall effort against Kent Malm was led by a group called "Time for Change, Time to Move Forward." Reports indicated that the firing of Central City Public Schools football coach Darin Garfield in April 2013 was the source of anger that led to the effort. However, recall organizers said their effort was meant to put "a spotlight on a system that has been counterproductive to the best interests of the students and staff of Central City Public Schools for some time."
Recall supporters also initiated a recall effort against board members Dale Palser and Steve Belitz. This broader effort failed after petitions were rejected by the Merrick County Clerk because of improper paperwork.
Path to the ballot
- See also: Laws governing recall in Nebraska
- Recall campaigns in Nebraska
- Political recall efforts, 2014
- School board recalls
- Dale Palser and Steve Belitz recall, Central City Public Schools, Nebraska (2013)
- Colin Murphy, KHAS-TV, "Central City appoints new school board member," February 18, 2014
- Merrick County Clerk, "Official Results for the Central City School Recall Election," January 14, 2014
- KHAS-TV, "Central City petitioners continue school board fight," August 19, 2013
- Nebraska TV, "Recall for Central City School Board Members to Go to Public Vote," November 25, 2013
- NTV ABC, "Group Seeks to Begin Recall of Some Members of the Central City School Board," June 27, 2013
- JournalStar.com, "Central City group begins school board recall effort over fired coach," July 20, 2013
- KHAS-TV, "Central City residents set to recall school board members," June 27, 2013
- JournalStar.com, "Petitions to recall Central City board members fail," August 17, 2013
State of Nebraska
List of Nebraska ballot measures | Local measures | School bond issues | Ballot measure laws | Initiative laws | History of I&R | History of direct democracy | Campaign Finance Requirements | Recall process |
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Auditor of Public Accounts | Commissioner of Education | Director of Insurance | Director of Agriculture | Director of Natural Resources | Commissioner of Labor | Nebraska Public Service Commission |