The Kentucky Commissioner of Agriculture
is an elected state executive position in the Kentucky state government. The commissioner is responsible for expanding agricultural markets, increasing rural economic development, and promoting the Kentucky Proud program.
Commissioners are elected to a four-year term, and are limited to serving two terms.
The current officeholder is James Comer, Jr. (R). He has served since 2012.
The office of Agriculture Commissioner is established in the Executive Department Article of the Kentucky Constitution.
Executive Department Article, Section 91:
| A Treasurer, Auditor of Public Accounts, Commissioner of Agriculture, Labor and Statistics, Secretary of State, and Attorney-General, shall be elected by the qualified voters of the State at the same time the Governor and Lieutenant Governor are elected, for the term of four years...
Executive Department Article, Section 91 of the Kentucky Constitution establishes the qualifications of the office:
| ...each of whom shall be at least thirty years of age at the time of his election, and shall have been a resident citizen of the State at least two years next before his election.
- at least 30 years old at time of election
- resident of Kentucky for at least two years
Kentucky state government organizational chart
Kentucky elects agriculture commissioners during gubernatorial election years. For Kentucky, 2015, 2019, 2023 and 2027 are all agriculture commissioner election years. Terms begin the first Monday in January following the election.
- See also: Kentucky Commissioner of Agriculture election, 2015
There is a regularly scheduled election for agriculture commissioner in 2015. James Comer, Jr. (R) is eligible for re-election but is running for governor. The primary election is scheduled for May 19, 2015, and the general election is scheduled for November 3, 2015.
The Kentucky Constitution limits the agriculture commissioner to two four-year terms.
Note: Ballotpedia's state executive officials project researches the constitutional or statutory text that details the process of filling vacancies for a state executive office. That information for the Kentucky Commissioner of Agriculture has not yet been added. After extensive research we were unable to identify any relevant information on state official websites. If you have any additional information about this office for inclusion on this section and/or page, please email us.
The duties of the Commissioner of Agriculture are outlined in 246.070 of the Kentucky Revised Statutes:
The Commissioner shall promote and encourage, as far as practicable, the organization of agricultural organizations and associations. He shall ascertain in detail the quality and quantity of land under cultivation; the kinds, amounts and value of the annual field crops; the annual production of orchards, gardens, and dairies; the kinds, value, and increase of livestock; the character and wages of labor employed in the cultivation of the soil; and the value of agricultural exports and imports.
The Department of Agriculture is divided into four offices made up of a total of 13 divisions.
Office for Strategic Planning and Administration
- The Office for Strategic Planning and Administration includes the Division of Personnel and Budget and the Division of Information Technology.
|Contact Strategic Planning and Administration|| |
|Steve Kelly, Executive Director
Department Address: Capital Plaza Tower 500 Mero Street, 7th Floor Frankfort, Kentucky 40601
Office for Consumer and Environmental Protection
- The Office of Consumer and Environmental Protection includes three divisions: Division of Environmental Services, Division of Food Distribution, and the Division of Regulation and Inspection.
|Contact Consumer and Environmental Protection|| |
|John C. Roberts Jr., Executive Director
Department Address: 107 Corporate Drive Frankfort, KY 40601
Office of State Veterinarian
- The Office of State Veterinarian includes the Division of Animal Health and the Division of Producer Services.
|Contact State Veterinarian|| |
|Robert C. Stout, DVM
Department Address: 100 Fair Oaks, 2nd Floor Frankfort, KY 40601
Office of Agricultural Marketing and Product Promotion
- The Office of Agricultural Marketing and Product Promotion includes six divisions:
- Division of Ag Education, Farm Safety & Farmland Preservation
- Division of Agriculture Marketing & Agribusiness Recruitment
- Division of Agritourism
- Division of Show & Fair Promotion
- Division of Value-Added Animal and Aquaculture Production
- Division of Value-Added Plant Production
|Contact Agricultural Marketing and Product Promotion|| |
Department Address: 100 Fair Oaks, 5th Floor Frankfort, KY 40601
The Department of Agriculture's budget for fiscal year 2013 was $34,911,200.
- See also: Compensation of state executive officers
In 2014, the commissioner received a salary of $117,329, according to the Council of State Governments.
In 2013, the commissioner received a salary of $115,593. This figure comes from the Council of State Governments.
In 2012, the Kentucky Commissioner of Agriculture was paid an estimated $113,615 according to the Council of State Governments.
Note: Ballotpedia's state executive officials project researches state official websites for chronological lists of historical officeholders. That information for the Kentucky Commissioner of Agriculture has not yet been added because the information was unavailable on the relevant state official websites, or we are currently in the process of formatting the list for this office. If you have any additional information about this office for inclusion on this section and/or page, please email us.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term Kentucky + Agriculture + Commissioner
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
Kentucky Commissioner of Agriculture News Feed
Commissioner of Agriculture
111 Corporate Drive
Frankfort, KY 40601
Phone: (502) 564-4696
Fax: (502) 573-0046
Open Records Mailing Address
Kentucky Department of Agriculture
Attn: Legal Counsel
500 Mero Street, Capital Plaza Tower, 7th Floor
Frankfort, KY 40601
Fax: (502) 564-1168
- ↑ Kentucky Department of Agriculture, " Office of the Commissioner," accessed December 15, 2012
- ↑ WDRB, "Attorney General Jack Conway sworn in for second term," January 2, 2012
- ↑ Kentucky Revised Statutes, "246.070 Functions of Commissioner, accessed November 5, 2011
- ↑ 2012-2014 Budget of the Commonwealth, "Operating Budget Volume I (Full Version)," 42, accessed June 27, 2013
- ↑ Council of State Governments, "SELECTED STATE ADMINISTRATIVE OFFICIALS: ANNUAL SALARIES," accessed November 24, 2014
- ↑ The Council of State Governments, "Book of the States 2013, Table 4.11," accessed February 2, 2014