Kentucky Public Service Commission
|Kentucky Public Service Commission|
|Office website:||Official Link|
|2013 FY Budget:||$15,827,600|
|Length of term:||4 years|
|Authority:||Kentucky Revised Statutes 278.040|
|Selection Method:||Appointed by the governor|
|Other Kentucky Executive Offices|
|Governor • Lieutenant Governor • Secretary of State • Attorney General • Treasurer • Auditor • Commissioner of Education • Agriculture Commissioner • Insurance Commissioner • Natural Resources Commissioner • Labor Cabinet Secretary • Public Service Commission|
Utilities under the commission's purview include investor-owned electric, natural gas, telecommunications, certain water and sewage utilities, electric cooperatives and telephone cooperatives, and water districts and associations. The PSC does not have authority over utilities subject to the control of cities, political subdivisions or those served by the Tennessee Valley Authority.
The Public Service Commission is established in the Kentucky Revised Statutes.
Kentucky Revised Statutes 278.040:
|(1) The Public Service Commission shall regulate utilities and enforce the provisions of this chapter. The commission shall be a body corporate, with power to sue and be sued in its corporate name.|
The Kentucky Revised Statutes set out the following qualifications for commissioners:
- Resident and qualified voter of the state
- At least 25 years of age at the time of appointment
- Have resided in the state for at least three years prior to appointment
- Cannot hold any official relationship to any utility or own any stock or bonds thereof, or have any pecuniary interest therein
- Cannot be a member of any political party committee
Public service commissioners are appointed to four year terms by the governor with the advice and consent of the Senate. The governor appoints one of the commissioners to act as chairman and one to act as vice chairman.
In the event of a vacancy, the governor appoints a new commissioner to serve out the rest of the unexpired term.
The Public Service Commission regulates "intrastate rates and services of investor-owned electric, natural gas, telephone, water and sewage utilities, customer-owned electric and telephone cooperatives, water districts and associations, and certain aspects of gas pipelines." The PSC's regulatory responsibilities include the following:
- Rate increase or reduction
- Expansion or reduction of utility service boundaries
- Construction and operation of utility facilities
- Meter accuracy
- Operating conditions of a utility
- Management audits
- Valuation of utility property
- Natural gas and coal purchasing practices
- Issuance or assumption of securities by a utility
- Consumer complaints
- Compliance with service and safety regulations
Note: Ballotpedia's state executive officials project researches state official websites for information that describes the divisions (if any exist) of a state executive office. That information for the Kentucky Public Service Commission has not yet been added. After extensive research we were unable to identify any relevant information on state official websites. If you have any additional information about this office for inclusion on this section and/or page, please email us.
The Kentucky Public Service Commission's budget for fiscal year 2013 was $15,827,600.
- See also: Compensation of state executive officers
Note: Ballotpedia's state executive officials project researches state official websites for chronological lists of historical officeholders. That information for the Kentucky Public Service Commission has not yet been added because the information was unavailable on the relevant state official websites, or we are currently in the process of formatting the list for this office. If you have any additional information about this office for inclusion on this section and/or page, please email us.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term Kentucky + Public + Service + Commission
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
Kentucky Public Service Commission
P.O. Box 615
211 Sower Boulevard
Frankfort, Kentucky 40602-0615
Phone: (502) 564-3940
Fax: (502) 564-3460
Email: email@example.com (Public Information Officer)
- Kentucky Public Service Commission, " History," accessed December 21, 2012
- Kentucky Revised Statutes, " 278.060 Qualifications of commissioners," accessed December 21, 2012
- Kentucky Revised Statutes, " 278.060 Membership of Public Service Commission," accessed December 21, 2012
- Kentucky Public Service Commission, " About the Public Service Commission," accessed December 21, 2012
- 2012-2014 Budget of the Commonwealth, "Operating Budget Volume I (Full Version)," 141, accessed June 27, 2013
- The Council of State Governments, "Book of the States 2013, Table 4.11," accessed February 2, 2014