Kevin McCarty (Florida)
|Florida Commissioner of Insurance Regulation|
|January 2003 - Present|
|Years in position||11|
|President of the National Association of Insurance Commissioners|
|Elections and appointments|
|Bachelor's||University of Florida (1982)|
|J.D.||University of Florida Law School (1986)|
McCarty has worked for the Florida Department of Insurance and its successor, the Office of Insurance Regulation, since 1991. He began his career in public service in 1988 in the Florida Department of Labor & Employment Security, where he worked on workers' compensation issues. He is the President-elect of the National Association of Insurance Commissioners, and chairs a number of NAIC task forces. McCarty has also represented the United States in the International Association of Insurance Supervisors.
- JD, University of Florida Law School, 1986
- BA, Political Science, University of Florida, 1982
Commissioner of Insurance (2003-Present)
McCarty is the first person to hold the position of Florida Commissioner of Insurance Regulation since it became an appointed position. While serving in the role his focus has been stabilizing the Florida property insurance market, reforming personal injury protection law and protecting consumers.
In his official bio, McCarty cites his three main principals of the role of government:
- "Government should serve and ultimately be accountable to the people"
- "Government should be transparent in its operations, and treat it's clients fairly and equitably"
- "Government should promote a vibrant, competitive marketplace while protecting those unable to protect themselves"
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Kevin + McCarty + Florida + Insurance"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Florida Office of Insurance Regulation - About the Commissioner
- Project Vote Smart biographical profile
- National Association of Insurance Commissioners Bio
|Florida Commissioner of Insurance Regulation
| Succeeded by|