|Texas State Senate, District 10|
|Elections and appointments|
|Next general||November 4, 2014|
Burton earned her B.B.A. in Marketing from the University of North Texas. Her professional experience includes owning a wedding consulting business, Weddings Ltd. Prior to owning her own business, Burton worked at Olmstead-Kirk Paper Co. She became a full-time mother after the birth of her first daughter.
Ribs’ website highlights the following campaign themes:
- Budget and the Economy
- Excerpt: "I will always fight to pass a budget free of accounting tricks and decline to pass on debt to future generations. I will also fight to repeal the business franchise tax and end corporate subsidies that choose winners and losers in private business."
- Excerpt: "The state must continue to work to reform our public schools, implementing more accountability standards and merit-based compensation for our educators. Most importantly, the Legislature must find a way to reach out to students in failing schools, enabling parents to chart their child’s course and locate a school that can meet their academic needs. The Texas Senate must also continue to work to enable charter schools to innovate and grow, providing opportunity for both gifted and underprivileged youth."
- Excerpt: "The Texas Legislature must continue to provide resources to law enforcement and arm them with the manpower and technology to combat these realities, making our communities more secure and saving innocent lives."
- Sanctity of Life
- Excerpt: "I will fight to keep Texas tax dollars from going to Planned Parenthood or any organization that provides abortions. I will also oppose any federal incursions into Texas designed to mandate that citizens purchase healthcare covering elective abortions."
- Second Amendment Rights
- Excerpt: "I will stand firm with gun owners at every opportunity defending their right to defend themselves and their family. I will oppose any attempt by the Legislature to grant themselves special rights before granting those same rights to law abiding Texans."
- See also: Texas State Senate elections, 2014
Elections for 15 of the 31 seats in the Texas State Senate will take place in 2014. A primary election took place on March 4, 2014. The general election will be held on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in these elections was December 9, 2013. Konni Burton and Mark Shelton advanced to a primary runoff, defeating Tony Pompa, Jon Schweitzer and Mark Skinner in the Republican primary. Burton defeated Shelton in the May 27 runoff election. Libby Willis defeated Mike Martinez in the Democratic primary. George Boll (D) withdrew prior to the primary election. Gene Lord was nominated in convention by the Libertarian Party of Texas. John Tunmire is running as a Green candidate. Gene Woodard III filed but did not advance past the Libertarian convention.
In 2014, Burton's endorsements include the following:
- Rafael Cruz
- Dr. Joseph Graham, President, Texas Right to Life
- Michael Quinn Sullivan, President, Texans for Fiscal Responsibility
- Congressman Kenny Marchant
- Representative Jonathan Stickland
Burton and her husband, Phil, have two children.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Connie + Burton + Texas + Senate"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Texas State Legislature
- Texas state legislative districts
- Texas State Senate
- Texas State Senate elections, 2014
- Office of the Secretary of State, "1992 - Current ELECTION HISTORY," accessed July 26, 2014
- konniburton.com, "About," accessed February 19, 2014
- konniburton.com, "Issues," accessed February 19, 2014
- Star-Telegram, "Democratic candidate Boll suspends race for state Senate District 10," accessed February 10, 2014
- Green Party of Texas, "Greens Release Candidate List," accessed July 26, 2014
- The Libertarian Party of Texas, "2014 Texas Senate Candidates List," accessed July 26, 2014
- Texas Tribune, "Election Brackets," accessed May 5, 2014
- konniburton.com, "Endorsements," accessed February 19, 2014