|Hawaii State Senate District 9|
|High school||Kalani High School (1979)|
|Bachelor's||University of Hawaii-Manoa (1983)|
|Service/branch||Hawaii Air National Guard|
|Years of service||1992 – 2011|
|Service branch||United States Air Force|
|Years of service||1983 – 1992|
Kurt Lajala was a 2012 Democratic candidate for District 9 of the Hawaii State Senate. His first time running for office, Lajala stated, "I've lived in this area all my life and I am now raising my family here. I'm willing to work for the necessary changes to improve our quality of life."
Lajala earned a degree from the University of Hawaii. He attended Aina Haina Elementary, Niu Valley Middle School and Kalani High School.
A combat veteran, Lajala served in Afghanistan, Iraq and Kosovo. He was in the United States Air Force from 1983-1992 and is a Retired Lieutenant Colonel in the Hawaii Air National Guard, 1992-2011. Lajala received the following awards: Meritorious Service Medal (3), Air Medal (2), Air Force Commendation Medal, Kosovo Campaign Medal (2), Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal, and Korean Defense Service Medal.
Lajala is a KC-135R Instructor Pilot with DRG of Oklahoma, LLC and a retired Boeing 747 and 777 Pilot with United Air Lines, Inc.
Lajala is affiliated with the following:
- National Guard Association of the United States
- Hawaii National Guard Association
- Veteran of Foreign Wars- Post 8616
- International Association of Machinists & Aerospace Workers
- Air Line Pilots Association, Retired
- Outrigger Canoe Club
- Democratic Party of Hawaii
- Kalanianaole Athletic Club, Baseball and Basketball Coach
- Kalani High School Athletic Booster Club
- Niu Valley Community Association
- Democratic Party of Hawaii Convention
- Office of Representative Mark Hashem, Volunteer
A product of the public school system, Lajala stated, "I believe that our schools have many issues and a few of the top priorities for me are to ask for and receive funding for a girls locker room at Kalani High School and many other improvements at our District 9 schools that have been neglected for many years. I believe these concerns and others have been put aside for nearly 20 years and the people of District 9, spanning from Diamond Head/Kaimuki through Kahala and toward Kalama Valley, deserve so much better."
Additionally he listed the following issues of his campaign:
- Serving community needs: "Immediate school, highway, waterfront repair and rock fall mitigation through CIP. Within term legislation to address the high cost of living (housing, food, energy). Future state and city planning to reduce traffic congestion along Kalanianaole Highway with an Oahu master plan."
- Serving state needs: "Reduce health and welfare costs through increased provider competition, improve public education and job opportunities through DOE budget scrutiny and professional organization and school collaboration. Reduce unemployment by encouraging shared work force agreements and state infrastructure upgrades. Increase take home income by reducing wasteful government spending and insuring the effectiveness of government programs."
- "Generally keeping Hawaii beautiful through balanced preservation, growth and development with attention to carrying capacity of our land and beaches."
- "A solid stance on ALL worker's rights, collective bargaining and retirement benefit obligations."
- See also: Hawaii State Senate elections, 2012
Lajala ran in the 2012 election for Hawaii State Senate District 9. Lajala ran unopposed in the August 11 Democratic primary and was defeated by District 8 incumbent Samuel Slom (R) in the general election which took place on November 6, 2012.
|Hawaii State Senate, District 9, General Election, 2012|
|Republican||Samuel Slom Incumbent||60.2%||14,934|
Lajala listed the following organizations as supporting and endorsing him:
- Hawaii Building and Construction Trades Council
- Hawaii Government Employees Association (HGEA), AFSCME Local 152
- Hawaii State AFL-CIO
- Hawaii State Machinists Council
- Hawaii State Teachers Association (HSTA)
- International Association of Machinists & Aerospace Workers, Local Lodge 1998
- International Longshore & Warehouse Union (ILWU), Local 142
- Iron Workers Union, Local 625
- Street Bikers United
- United Public Workers
- University of Hawaii Professional Assembly (UHPA)
- Akana Trucking, Inc.
- Amazon Construction Co. Inc.
- Da Fin Surfing Products
- Division 8, Inc.
- Crystal Clear Pool & Spa Services
- JAS Roofing
- Island Energy Surfboards
- Island Shutters
- Manufacturer’s Gallery
- State Pool Service
- Wave Toyz, Inc.
Lajala is married and has three children, aged 10, 6, and 4 years.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google News search for the term "Kurt + Lajala + Hawaii + Senate"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Biographical information submitted to Ballotpedia, July 18, 2012]
- civilbeat.com, " Unofficial 2012 Primary election candidate list," accessed March 24, 2014
- Hawaii Secretary of State, "Official 2012 Primary election results," accessed March 24, 2014
- Hawaii Secretary of State, "Official 2012 General election results," accessed March 24, 2014
- Kurt Lajala, "About Kurt," accessed September 16, 2012