L. Harvey Smith
|L. Harvey Smith|
Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|New Jersey General Assembly District 31|
|2008 - 2009|
|New Jersey State Senate|
|Profession||Undersheriff, Hudson County|
Prior to his election to the Assembly, Smith served in the New Jersey State Senate from 2003 to 2004. He was also President of the Jersey City city council from 2001 to 2005, and Mayor of Jersey City in 2004.
- Higher Education Committee, New Jersey General Assembly
- Transportation, Public Works and Independent Authorities Committee, New Jersey General Assembly
- A1117 Revises the calculation of school district budget caps, eliminates the restrictions on the submission of separate proposal for additional spending, and requires a performance audit upon the submission of such proposals.
- A2572 Establishes the Department of Higher Education.
- A2955 Permits bid for public works contract to be withdrawn due to error in certain circumstances; permits contracting unit to require financial statement from bidders.
- A3123 Requires registration and oversight of home education programs.
The top 5 donors to Smith's 2007 campaign:
- 1. Hudson County Democratic Organization $230,865
- 2. Eggers, Frederick G $2,600
- 3. Learner Co $2,600
- 4. Kramer, Amy L $2,600
- 5. Redwood, Eldon, A $2,600
Smith was arrested on July 23, 2009, by federal authorities on charges of accepting a $15,000 bribe. He was one of at least 30 politicians and religious leaders arrested in the same federal money-laundering and corruption sweep. The arrests were the result of a two-year FBI and IRS probe into money transfers by members of Syrian communities in Deal and Brooklyn. Assemblyman Daniel Van Pelt (D) was also arrested. On December 16, 2010, Smith was found not guilty of accepting a $15,000 bribe.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "L. Harvey + Smith + New Jersey + Assembly"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- New Jersey General Assembly
- General Assembly Committees
- New Jersey State Legislature
- Joint Committees
- New Jersey state legislative districts
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- State Surge - legislative and voting track record
- Campaign Contributions: 2007, 2003
- Project Vote Smart, "Biography of L. Harvey Smith," accessed December 17, 2014
- New Jersey State Legislature, "Bills Sponsored by Senators and Representatives," accessed April 10, 2014
- Follow the Money, "2007 Campaign Contributions," accessed December 16, 2014
- Newark Star-Ledger, "N.J. officials, N.Y. rabbis caught in federal money laundering, corruption sweep," July 23, 2009
- Newark Star-Ledger, "Following the N.J. corruption money trail: Money laundering splintered into political probe," July 23, 2009
- Nj.com, "Ex-Assemblyman L. Harvey Smith is found not guilty of accepting $15K in bribes," December 16, 2010
|New Jersey Assembly District 31
| Succeeded by|
Charles Mainor (D)