Lake County, Florida
Lake County's population was estimated to be 312,119 in 2009.
Evaluation of website
- Main article: Evaluation of Florida county websites
Last rated on Feb 28th, 2013
- Elected Officials
- County commissioners are listed with phone numbers.
- Administrative official (County Manager) is listed, and a physical address is provided.
- Permits and Zoning
- Comprehensive Annual Financial Reports from 1999-2011 are available.
- Awarded bids and contracts are available online.
- Public Records
- Lists lobbyist registration from November 2012-January 2013; these records include lobbyist's client and address, and the topic the lobbyist wanted to discuss.
- Some tax information is available (millage rates, discount rates and deadlines, real estate and personal property taxes); citizens are able to pay taxes online. Some information on revenue can be found in audits.
- County Manager has no phone number or personal email listed.
- Elected Officials
- Commissioners have no personal emails listed
- Does not disclose list of employed lobbyists (and their pay), membership fees, or if belongs to government sector lobbying associations.
- It is not clear if tax revenues are available
In late 2008 reporters organized by the Florida Society of Newspaper Editors requested the most recent budget emails from central Florida county officials in order to audit the responses.
Lake County did not fare well, with no agencies able to immediately able to hand over requested emails. However, the Sheriff's Office and county administrator's office eventually complied after giving specific dates they would meet to provide the records.
Lake's school district did not meet the request. An official there asked for identification from the requesting party, along with a written request and signature of intent, providing no promise of any records. Lake County school superintendent Susan Moxley showed some concern. "I want to go back and research how we're doing business," she said. "I want to do my homework and my research on how we're currently handling requests if we're not in compliance. Obviously, we'll make whatever adjustments are necessary."
- Main article: Florida government sector lobbying
|Year||Amount spent on lobbying|
|2004||Less than $10,000|
|2003||Less than $10,000|
|2002||Less than $10,000|
- Official Lake County Website
- Lake County Clerk of Courts
- Lake County Property Appraiser
- Lake County on E-Reference
- Orlando Sentinel Lake County News
- Lake County Public Schools (dead link)
- Lake County on Epodunk
- U.S. Census Bureau Quickfacts
- Agendas and Minutes
- Permits (dead link)
- Public Records Search (dead link)
- Florida Sunshine Laws
- Lobbyist Ordinance and Registration List
- Tax Collector
- Orlando Sentinel, Public-records requests befuddle county staffs, November 22, 2008
- Client List
- CML Consulting Services on Open Secrets
- Open Secrets
- PBC Clerk & Comptroller 5.30.07