- Main article: Evaluation of Colorado city websites
|Transparency grading process|
- The budget for 2011-2012 is available online, as well as budgets from 2007
- Direct contact information is available for the city council and mayor.
- Comprehensive Annual Financial Reports are available from 2006.
- Local tax rates and forms are posted online.
- Meeting minutes are posted for 2007, but not for more recent years.
- The name of the city manager is posted, but direct contact information is not.
- The link for building permits is broken.
- Contracts and bids over $10,000 are not posted.
- Information on taxpayer-funded intergovernmental lobbying is not available.
- Public records request information is available. However, the name and contact information of the records officer is not.
The city of Lakewood operates under a council/manager form of government. This means that a city council proposes and enacts legislation, in addition to appointing administrative officials. However, a large part of the city's day-to-day operations are overseen by a council-appointed city manager. The mayor serves as the head of the city council.
Lakewood citizens elect a mayor and 10 council members. Two council members come from each of the city's 5 districts (or wards). The current city council members are:
- Bob Murphy, Mayor
- Scott Koop, Ward 2
- Cindy Baroway, Ward 2
- Sue King, Ward 3
- Ed Peterson, Ward 3
- David Wiechman, Ward 4
- Adam Paul Ward 4
- Diana Allen, Ward 5
- Tom Quinn, Ward 5
- Both council seats in Ward 1 are vacant.
In the council/manager form of government, the city manager is appointed by the council and undertakes supervision of most of the day-to-day activities of the city. The current city manager for Lakewood, Colorado is Kathy Hodgson.
|City Department by program||General fund||Special revenue funds||Capital projects funds||Enterprise funds||Internal Service Funds||City total||Mayor and City Council||$500,378||-||-||-||- $500,378|
|City Manager's Office||$2,013,937||$1,083,693||$189,000||-||-||$3,286,630|
|Economic Dev & Sustainability||64,242||1,083,693||-||-||-||1,147,935|
|City Attorney's Office||$1,578,704||-||-||-||-||$1,578,704|
|City Clerk\'s Office||$830,037||-||-||-||-||$830,037|
|Community Resources||$16,381,906||$10,329,499||$790,586||$4,699,416||$ -||$ 32,201,407|
|Admin. & Resource Development||1,002,212||-||-||-||-||1,002,212|
|Golf Course Operations||-||-||-||4,699,416||-||4,699,416|
|Heritage, Culture & the Arts||-||2,533,117||-||-||-||2,533,117|
|Planning & Construction||3,969,120||3,086,419||785,586||-||-||7,841,125|
|Regional Parks Operations||516,808||1,007,491||-||-||-||1,524,299|
|Urban Parks Operations||3,362,183||2,383,074||5,000||-||-||5,750,257|
|Property & Purchasing Services||1,120,349||-||58,064||-||-||1,178,413|
|Information Technology||$5,124,763||-||$ 700,000||-||-||$5,824,763|
|Municipal Court||$ 2,820,477||$4,204||-||-||-||$2,824,681|
|Municipal Court Administration||268,402||-||-||-||-||268,402|
Transparency & Public Records
Colorado citizens are guaranteed access to public records through the Colorado Open Records Act (CORA). Citizens can submit records requests and governments are required to respond within three business days. If the record is available electronically, it will be provided. If a hard copy is required, the citizen must pay $.25 per page..
Lakewood, Colorado is serviced by the West Metro Fire Rescue. This is a consolidation of the Lakewood Fire Department and the Bancroft Fire Protection District. The department is governed by a board of directors, which appropriates budget and determines policy.
Lakewood contracts its own police department. It currently employs 400 officers and staff, including Police Chief Kevin Paletta. According to the annual report, both "crimes of person" and "crimes of property" have seen a general, steady decline since 2008.
- Lakewood, Colorado -- Finance Department
- Lakewood, CO -- City Council
- Lakewood, CO -- financial reports
- Lakewood, CO -- Revenue Division
- Permits link broken as of 31 Oct 2011
- Lakewood, CO -- City Clerk
- 2012 Budget In Brief, City of Lakewood, Colorado. Accessed 31 Oct 2011 (PDF)
- Colorado Department of Personnel and Administration (DPA) Division of Information Technologies
- West Metro Fire Protection -- About
- Lakewood, Colorado -- Chief of Police
- Lakewood Police Department 2010 Annual Report. Accessed 31 Oct 2011