Lakota Local Schools, Ohio
|Lakota Local Schools|
|Liberty Township, Ohio|
|Number of schools:||22|
|Website:||School Home Page|
|Board of Education|
|Board president:||Joan Powell|
About the district
Butler County outperforms the rest of Ohio in terms of higher education attainment, median income and poverty rate. The 2010 U.S. Census found that 26.5% of Butler County residents over 25 years old held undergraduate degrees compared to a 24.5% rate for the state of Ohio. Butler County had a median income of $55,497 in 2010 compared to $48,071 for Ohio. The poverty rate for Butler County was 12.8% in 2010 compared to an 14.8% rate for the rest of the state.
Note: The United States Census Bureau considers "Hispanic or Latino" to be a place of origin, not a race. Therefore, the Census allows citizens to report both their race and that they are from a "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin simultaneously. As a result, the percentages in each column of the racial demographics table will exceed 100.0%. Each column will add up to 100.0% after removing the "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin percentages.
The current Superintendent of Lakota Local Schools is Karen Mantia. She has served in the position since July 2011 after replacing Interim Superintendent Ron Spurlock. Mantia previously served as the Superintendent of Pickerington Schools. She earned an annual salary of $165,000 during the 2011-2012 school year.
The Lakota Board of Education consists of five members who are elected at-large to four-year terms. The district allows board members to participate in the School Employees Retirement System (SERS) as well as a group health insurance plan. Members can also be reimbursed for training sessions and conferences approved by the district.
|Lakota Board of Education|
School board elections
- See also: Lakota Local Schools elections (2013)
Members of the Lakota Board of Education are elected at-large to four-year terms on a staggered basis. Three seats were up for election on November 5, 2013 and two seats will be on the ballot on November 3, 2015.
Lakota Local Schools publishes its annual budget on its website.
|Expenditures by Category|
|School Year||Staff Expenses||Student Services||Operational Expenses||Debt Service||Other||Budget Total|
|Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget|
Teachers in Lakota Local Schools earn annual salaries based on years on the job as well as educational achievement. The district pays a minimum annual salary of $37,492 for teachers with Bachelor's degrees and $41,241 for Master's holders. The 2011-2012 salary schedule capped salaries at $61,674 for Bachelor's holders and $75,546 for teachers with Master's degrees. The maximum salary caps annual pay increases after 30 years of service in the district.
The Lakota Education Association (LEA) represents district teachers in negotiations with the district. The LEA is currently led by Sharon Mays.
Schools in district
Lakota Local Schools operates 22 K-12 schools listed below in alphabetical order:
|Lakota Local Schools|
|Creekside Early Childhood School|
|Hopewell Junior School|
|Lakota East Freshman Campus|
|Lakota East High School|
|Lakota West Freshman Campus|
|Lakota West High School|
|Liberty Early Childhood School|
|Liberty Junior School|
|Plains Junior School|
|Ridge Junior School|
|Shawnee Early Childhood School|
|Wyandot Early Childhood School|
The Ohio Department of Education issues an annual report card for each district based on scores from the Ohio Achievement Assessments. This testing process assesses the proficiency of students in grades 3 through 8 in reading and mathematics. Students in grades 10 and 11 complete the Ohio Graduation Test to not only assess proficiency but demonstrate readiness for postgraduate life.
Lakota Local Schools received a B on the state's Performance Index and an A in the Indicators Met section. The Ohio Department of Education found that 90.7% of students qualified as Proficient or higher. The district met proficiency levels in 100% of performance indicators from grades 3 through 11. The following tables detail results from the Performance Index and Indicators Met sections in the 2012-2013 district report card.
|Performance Index, 2012-2013|
|Performance level||Percentage of students (%)|
|Transparency grading process|
This website was most recently evaluated on March 7, 2013.
- Board of Education members are published, including contact phone and email.
- Board of Education meetings are posted and include meeting places and times; agendas and minutes are archived for at least twelve years Video on demand provides access to Board meetings online.
- The Board of Education policies are published.
- Administrative officials (with contact information) are published by department. The Superintendent is listed along with contact information as well
- The budget is published.
- Comprehensive Annual Financial Report is published and includes reports back to 2008.
- Tax policy and revenue sources are explained.
- Contracts are published including the LEA and LSSA contracts; salary schedules are listed within these documents. Currently open bids are posted along with instructions for vendors
- School District Report Card, including Performance Index and information on graduation rates, is published.
- Background check and licensure information is published.
- Information on the Public Records policy is posted, including directions, fee amounts, and an email link to submit a request. The Treasurer is listed as the public records officer.
- District News and Events are relevant and useful.
- Tax rates are not listed.
- Budgets are not archived for at least the past three years.
- Approved contract statements are not available for vendors.
- Lakota Local Schools, "History of Lakota," accessed September 19, 2013
- U.S. Census, "Quick Facts: Butler County," accessed September 19, 2013
- Butler County Board of Elections, "Archives," accessed September 17, 2013
- United States Census Bureau, "Frequently Asked Questions," accessed April 21, 2014
- Cincinnati.com, "Lakota board approves new superintendent," June 16, 2011
- Lakota Local Schools, "Board Policies," accessed September 19, 2013
- Lakota Local Schools, "Perm FY2013 Appropriation Resolution," accessed December 3, 2013
- Ohio Education Association, "Salary Data since 2001," accessed September 19, 2013
- Lakota Education Association, "Local Leadership," accessed September 19, 2013
- Lakota Local Schools, "Schools," accessed September 19, 2013
- Ohio Department of Education, "FAQs," accessed September 10, 2013
- Ohio Department of Education, "Ohio Graduation Test," accessed September 10, 2013
- Ohio Department of Education, "2012-2013 Report Card for Lakota Local Schools," accessed September 19, 2013
- Lakota Local Schools, "Board Members," accessed March 7th, 2013
- Lakota Local Schools, "Board Meetings," accessed March 7th 2013
- Lakota Local Schools, "Videos," accessed March 7th, 2013
- Lakota Local Schools, "Departments," accessed March 7th, 2013
- Lakota Local Schools, "Superintendent," accessed March 7th, 2013
- Lakota Local Schools, "Treasurer's Department," accessed September 19, 2013
- Lakota Local Schools, "School Funding," accessed March 7th, 2013
- Lakota Local Schools, "Employment," accessed March 7th, 2013
- Lakota Local Schools, "Current Bid Options," accessed March 7th, 2013
- -7 Lakota Local Schools, "Licensure Process," accessed March 7th, 2013
- Lakkota Local Schools, "Public Records Request," accessed March 7th, 2013