|Mayor:||Raul G. Salinas|
|Last mayoral election:||2010|
|Next mayoral election:||2014|
|Last city council election:||2012|
|Next city council election:||2014|
|City council seats:||9|
|2013-2014 FY Budget:||$556 million|
|Population in 2013:||248,142|
Hispanic or Latino 95.6%
African American 0.5%
American Indian and Alaska Native alone 0.4%
Two or More 1.5%
|Median household income:||$39,011|
|High school graduation rate:||65.2%|
|College graduation rate:||17.4%|
|Related Laredo offices|
|Texas Congressional Delegation|
Texas State Legislature
Texas state executive offices
The city of Laredo utilizes a council-manager system. In this form of municipal government, an elected city council, which includes the mayor and serves as the city's primary legislative body, appoints an executive called a city manager to oversee the city's day-to-day operations.
The Laredo City Council is the city's primary legislative body. It is responsible for approving and adopting the city budget, levying taxes and making or amending city laws, policies and ordinances.
The city council consists of nine members including the mayor. While the mayor is elected at-large, the other eight members are elected by the city's eight districts..
A full list of city council members can be found here
A series of advisory boards and commissions that are made up of non-elected citizens, whom city council members have appointed and approved, advises the Laredo City Council. The roles of these boards and commissions are to review, debate and comment upon city policies and legislation and to make recommendations to the city council.
For a full list of Laredo's commissions, boards and committees, see here
- See also: Laredo, Texas municipal elections, 2014.
The city of Laredo, Texas will hold elections for mayor and city council on November 4, 2014. The filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was August 18, 2014. Five city council seats are up for election.
Laredo's adopted operating budget for fiscal year 2013-14 was $556 million.
City of Laredo
1110 Houston Street
Laredo, Texas 78040
Phone: (956) 791-7300
To contact individual city council members and the mayor, see here
- See also: Webb County, Texas ballot measures
Population as of the July, 2011 census update: 241,935. Laredo is a charter city. Signature requirement is 10% of the electors qualified to vote at the time of the last regular municipal election. Petition form requirements are detailed in the charter, Art. XI, Sec. 11.11. File petitions with city secretary. After certification, the council has 60 days to adopt or shall be submitted to the electors at the next special or regular municipal election.
In 2013, Laredo spent a total of $5,000 on federal lobbying. The city filed four reports for the issue of Urban Development.
|Transparency grading process|
Last rated on March 7, 2013
- Elected Officials
- Contact information for elected officials is posted.
- City council meeting minutes and agendas are published.
- Agendas and minutes are archived to 1996.
- Contact information for administrative officials is posted.
- The current budget is published.
- Budgets are archived to 2007 under the proposed budget drop down menu.
- Most recent financial audit is posted.
- Audits are archived to 2003.
- Permits and Zoning
- Public Records
- Information local tax rates, including property tax, hotel/ motel taxes and alcohol taxes are posted.
- Lobbyist registration information is posted.
- There is no information on taxpayer funded lobbying efforts on behalf of the city.
- U.S. Census, "State and County Quick Facts," accessed on August 20, 2014
- Laredo City Charter, Sec. 1.02, accessed on September 19, 2014
- City of Laredo, "City Government," accessed on August 18, 2014
- City of Laredo "City Council," accessed on August 18, 2014
- City of Laredo, "Boards," accessed on August 26, 2014
- Texas Secretary of State, "2014 Important Election Dates," accessed May 14, 2014
- City of Laredo, "Laredo, Texas: FY 2014 Annual Budget," accessed on August 26, 2014
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named
Cite error: Invalid
- Open Secrets, "City of Laredo, TX," accessed on September 19, 2014
- City of Laredo, "City council," accessed on August 20, 2014
- City of Laredo, "Meetings," accessed on August 20, 2014
- City of Laredo, "City Departments," accessed on August 20, 2014
- City of Laredo, "Budget," accessed on August 20, 2014
- City of Laredo, "Finance," accessed on August 20, 2014
- City of Laredo,, "Current bids," accessed on August 20, 2014
- City of Laredo, "Awarded bids," accessed on August 20, 2014
- City of Laredo, "Permits," accessed on August 20, 2014
- City of Laredo, "Planning," accessed on August 20, 2014
- Open Records Center, "records," accessed on August 20, 2014
- City of Laredo, "Tax Rate," accessed on August 20, 2014
- City of Laredo, "Lobbyist registration," accessed on August 20, 2014