For status updates, visit lucyburns.org.
Ballotpedia's coverage of elections held on March 3, 2015, was limited. Select races were covered live, and all results will be added once the merger is complete.
Larry J. Lucas
|Larry J. Lucas|
|South Dakota State Senate District 26|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 6, 2012|
|First elected||November 6, 2012|
|South Dakota State House, District 26|
|1991 - 2000; 2007 - 2013|
|Bachelor's||South Dakota State University, 1974|
Lucas served in the South Dakota State House of Representatives from 1991 to 2000 and again from 2007 to 2013. While in the House, Lucas served as Assistant Leader.
Lucas earned his B.A. in Technology Education from South Dakota State University in 1974. His professional experience includes working as a teacher for Hendricks Public Schools from 1974 to 1975, as a teacher for Todd County Schools from 1975 to 2006 and and for Mid-West Tech as a Sales Technician.
At the beginning of the 2013 legislative session, Lucas served on the following committees:
|South Dakota Committee Assignments, 2013|
|• Agriculture and Natural Resources|
|• Retirement Laws|
|• State Affairs|
In the 2011-2012 legislative session, Lucas served on the following committees:
- Education Committee, South Dakota House of Representatives
- Health and Human Services Committee, South Dakota House of Representatives
In the 2009-2010 legislative session, Lucas served on the following committees:
Lucas won election in the 2012 election for South Dakota State Senate District 26. Lucas ran unopposed in the Democratic primary on June 5 and defeated incumbent Kent Juhnke (R) in the general election, which took place on November 6, 2012. District 26 incumbent Billie Sutton (D) won election for re-election in District 21.
|South Dakota State Senate, District 26, General Election, 2012|
|Republican||Kent Juhnke Incumbent||47%||3,909|
|South Dakota State House, District 26A (2010)|
|Larry Lucas (D)||2,148||100.00%|
Comprehensive donor information for Larry Lucas is available dating back to 2006. Based on available campaign finance records, Larry Lucas raised a total of $60,440 during that time period. This information was last updated on September 26, 2013.
|Larry Lucas's Campaign Contribution History|
|2012||South Dakota State Senate, District 26||$12,304|
|2010||South Dakota House of Representatives, District 26A||$31,710|
|2008||South Dakota House of Representatives, District 26A||$9,820|
|2006||South Dakota House of Representatives, District 26A||$6,606|
|Grand Total Raised||$60,440|
2012Larry Lucas won election to the South Dakota State Senate in 2012. During that election cycle, Larry Lucas raised a total of $12,304.
|South Dakota State Senate 2012 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Larry J. Lucas's campaign in 2012|
|SD Educators Political Involvement Cmte (Epic)||$2,200|
|South Dakota Healthcare Association||$1,000|
|South Dakota Trial Lawyers Pac||$750|
|SD Dealers Election Action Cmte||$400|
|Total Raised in 2012||$12,304|
|Source:Follow the Money|
In 2010, Lucas received $31,710 in campaign donations. The largest donors are listed below:
|South Dakota House of Representatives 2010 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Larry J. Lucas's campaign in 2010|
|South Dakota Democratic Party||$27,500|
|South Dakota Association Of Healthcare Organizations||$500|
|South Dakota Education Association||$500|
|Florida Power & Light||$250|
|Total Raised in 2010||$31,710|
In 2008, Lucas collected $9,820 in donations.
His five largest contributors in 2008 were:
|South Dakota Majority Project||$2,500|
|South Dakota Association of Healthcare Organizations||$1,000|
|South Dakota Education Association||$1,000|
|Equality South Dakota||$700|
|South Dakota State Medical Association||$600|
Legislative scorecards are used to evaluate elected public officials based on voting record. Some scorecards are created by political advocacy groups with a focus on specific issues, while others are developed by newspapers and are broad in scope. Scorecards are meant to be used as a tool for voters to have a quick picture of whether their views align with a particular legislator's record.
Because scorecards can be specific to particular issues or general to a state’s legislative term, for example, each report should be considered on its own merits. Each entity that publishes these reports uses different methodologies and definitions for the terms used.
Please see our writing guidelines if you would like to add results from an individual scorecard to this legislator's profile.
In 2014, the 89th South Dakota State Legislature was in session from January 14 to March 31.
- South Dakota Right to Life: 2013-2014 Pro-life Legislative Ratings
- Legislators are scored based on their votes relating to the issue of abortions.
In 2013, the 88th South Dakota State Legislature was in session from January 8 to March 25.
- South Dakota Freedom Coalition: South Dakota Freedom Index 2013
- Legislators are scored based on their votes on the "top ten" issues affecting your freedom.
Lucas and his wife, Debera, have four children.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term "Larry + Lucas + South + Dakota + Senate"
- All stories may not be relevant to this legislator due to the nature of the search engine.
- South Dakota State Legislature
- South Dakota State Senate
- South Dakota Senate Committees
- South Dakota Joint Committees
- South Dakota State Senate District 26
- Profile from Open States
- Legislative profile from Project Vote Smart
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Campaign contributions via Follow the Money: 2012, 2010, 2008, 2006
- Office of the South Dakota Secretary of State, "2012 Primary Election Candidate List," accessed April 9, 2012
- South Dakota Secretary of State's official results of June 8 primary
- South Dakota House of Representatives Official General Election Results, 2010
- followthemoney.org, "Lucas, Larry J," accessed September 26, 2013
- Follow the Money, "2010 contributions," accessed December 23, 2013
- Follow the Money, "2008 contributions to Larry Lucas," accessed January 19, 2015
|South Dakota House of Representatives District 26
| Succeeded by|