Larry Mann, Connie Trube and Deanie Barrett recall, La Marque, Texas (2010)
Recall targets Larry Mann and Deanie Barrett were ousted in the November 2 recall vote, while Connie Trube retained her seat.
Jake Feigle was a leader in the recall effort.
A bone of contention between the targeted city council members and those who supported the recall was the way in which the targeted council members put the city on the hook for a contract with City Manager Eric Gage. Recall supporters had asked the council to delay and deliberate on the contract, but the city council members ignored their wishes. Although the process left a bad taste in the mouth of some residents, the contract itself may be moot because a review of the contract by a city attorney indicated that the contract violates several provisions of the city's charter and hence, has an uncertain legal status.
Recall target Mann had waxed philosophical about the recall effort, saying, "Let them do what they want to do. You reap what you sow, and in the end we will be standing tall, period. You can’t make everybody happy all the time, and the decisions we have made have been pretty good." Recall target Barrett indicated that being removed from office would be "a blessing" with conditions as they are in the politically contentious town of about 13,000 residents.
Citizens of La Marque are more familiar with recall elections than is the case in most cities. A group tried to recall unsuccessfully to recall James Osteen, and a different group tried, successfully, to recall Lloyd Criss in 2001.
Geraldine Sam recall
A perhaps retaliatory recall effort was launched against Mayor Geraldine Sam by those who supported Mann, Trube and Barrett.
Path to the ballot
Recall supporters had to gather signatures equalling 51% of the number of people who voted in the last contested election in the city council district represented by the recall target. Those who signed the petition had to be a registered voter in the district of the recall target whose petition they signed.
- Number of signatures needed to force a recall vote on Larry Mann, District B: 194
- Number of signatures needed to force a recall vote on Connie Trube, District C: 98
- Number of signatures needed to force a recall vote on Deanie Barrett, District D: 72
Election officials announced in April that sufficient signatures had been filed to force the recall vote.
- ↑ Galveston Daily News, "Group pushes to recall 3 council members", March 8, 2010
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Galveston Daily News, "Petitioners have enough signatures to force recall", April 6, 2010
- ↑ Galveston Daily News, "Voters recall Mann, Barrett", November 3, 2010
- ↑ Galveston Daily News, "Third council member faces recall vote", April 9, 2010
- ↑ Galveston Daily News, "Governing by recall bad idea", March 10, 2010