|Former candidate for|
|Alabama State Senate, District 10|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 4, 2014|
|Alabama State Senate District 10|
Means was a member of the Alabama State Senate, representing District 10 from 1998 to 2010. He also served on the city council of Attalla, Alabama from 1976 to 1980 and 1984 to 1988 and was the mayor of Attalla, Alabama from 1992 to 1998.
Mean earned his B.S. in Business Administration from Jacksonville State University.
Means formerly served on the following committees:
- Agriculture, Conservation and Forestry Committee, Alabama Senate Vice Chairperson
- Business and Labor Committee, Alabama Senate
- Commerce, Transportation, and Utilities Committee, Alabama Senate
- Confirmations Committee, Alabama Senate
- Energy and Natural Resources Committee, Alabama Senate Vice Chairperson
- Finance and Taxation Education Committee, Alabama Senate
- Governmental Affairs Committee, Alabama Senate
- Health Committee, Alabama Senate Vice Chairperson
- Industrial Development and Recruitment Committee, Alabama Senate Chairperson
Means' website highlighted the following campaign themes:
Bringing the District Back to the People
- Excerpt: "Larry is proud of his service to the people of this district. He will continue to listen to you and we will work together with him, just as we always have!"
Jobs and The Economy
- Excerpt: "Larry knows good paying jobs are key to strengthening our communities and building our economy."
Support for Public Education
- Excerpt: "Larry Means believes in public education and is willing to fight for it. Larry knows that to grow jobs here and make our communities strong, our children and teachers must have the tools they need. Our children must be prepared to compete for jobs in a worldwide marketplace."
Law and Order
- Excerpt: "With Larry Means in the Senate, we can be confident that he’s working hard everyday to keep our community safe and attractive to new businesses and a welcoming place for people to live and raise their families."
- See also: Alabama State Senate elections, 2014
Elections for the office of Alabama State Senate took place in 2014. A primary election took place on June 3, 2014; a runoff election took place where necessary on July 15, 2014. The general election was held on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was February 7, 2014. Larry Means was unopposed in the Democratic primary. Incumbent Phil Williams was unopposed in the Republican primary. Williams then defeated Means in the general election on November 4, 2014.
|Alabama State Senate District 10, General Election, 2014|
|Republican||Phil Williams Incumbent||52%||17,967|
- See also: Alabama State Senate elections, 2010
|Alabama State Senate, District 10 General election (2010)|
|Phil Williams (R)||20,249|
|Larry Means (D)||17,459|
- See also: Alabama State Senate elections, 2006
Means raised $491,364 for his campaign.
- See also: Alabama State Senate elections, 2002
Means raised $425,536 for his campaign, while Williams raised $0.
|Alabama State Senate, District 10 (2006)|
|Larry Means (D)||24,702|
|David L. Williams (R)||11,670|
In 2006, Means collected $491,364 in donations.
His five largest contributors in 2006 were:
|Alabama Education Association||$50,000|
|Medical Association of the State of Alabama||$25,000|
|Alabama Road Builders Association||$25,000|
Means and his wife, Karen, have two children and reside in Attalla, Alabama.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Larry + Means + Alabama + Senate"
- All stories may not be relevant to this legislator due to the nature of the search engine.
- Alabama State Senate
- Alabama State Senate District 10
- Alabama State Senate elections, 2014
- Alabama State Legislature
- Official campaign website
- Legislative Profile from Project Vote Smart
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Larry Means on Facebook
- Campaign Contributions: 2006 2002 1998
- larrymeansforsenate.com, "Issues," accessed September 18, 2014
- Alabama Democrats, "Qualified candidates for public office list," accessed February 25, 2014
- Alabama Republican Party, "State Senate," accessed February 25, 2014
- Alabama Secretary of State, "Official Democratic Primary Results," accessed June 20, 2014
- Alabama Secretary of State, "Official Republican Primary Results," accessed June 20, 2014
- AL.com, "Alabama 2014 general election: Results for statewide and congressional races," November 4, 2014
- Alabama Secretary of State, "Official 2010 General election results," accessed July 18, 2014
- Alabama Secretary of State, "Official 2006 election results," accessed April 15, 2014
- Follow The Money, "Funds raised by 2006 Alabama Senate candidates," accessed April 15, 2014
- Alabama Secretary of State, "Official 2002 election results," accessed April 15, 2014
- Follow The Money, "Funds raised by 2002 Alabama Senate candidates," accessed April 15, 2014
- Follow the Money, "2006 contributions," accessed July 18, 2014
|Alabama State Senate District 10
| Succeeded by|