|U.S. House, Illinois, District 2|
|Bachelor's||North Park University|
|J.D.||DePaul University College of Law|
Pickens was ordained in the United Methodist Church in 1987. He received his law degree from DePaul University of Law and his seminary degrees from Garrett-Evangelical, Chicago Theological Seminary and the Ecumenical Institute of Celigny, Switzerland. Throughout his career he has focused on the issues of human rights, economic policy, and social justice.
Pickens' website highlighted the following campaign themes:
- Gun Violence and Assault Weapons
- Excerpt: "As a member of Congress, one of my priorities would be the passing of significant and commonsense legislation designed to implement handgun control and the banning of assault weapons. I am also committed to being a community catalyst, to bring together various segments of our community, law enforcement, teachers, mental health officials, clergy, and community organizing groups, youth and children- for the purpose of creating real solutions that are grounded in the experiences of all community stakeholders."
- Supports President Obama's Effort to Revitalize Our District's Infrastructure
- Will Create Employment opportunities by Initiating Linkages Between Small Business Owners and Potential Employees
- Promotes the Implementation of the Affordable Care Act
- Emphasizes Preventative Health Care Measures
- Will Work to Develop the Economic Conditions of the Community Through Community Investment
- Committed to Enhancing National Education Policy
- Will Work to Enable Students to Compete in a 21st Century Global Context
- Will Address Violence and the Banning Assault Weapons
- Will Work Inclusively with All of the People of the Second Congressional District
Pickens ran in the 2013 special election for the U.S. House, representing Illinois' 2nd District. The election was held to replace Jesse Jackson, Jr.. Pickens lost in the Democratic primary to Robin Kelly.
|U.S. House, Illinois District 2 Special Democratic Primary, 2013|
|Denise Anita Hill||0%||4|
|Source: Results via Illinois State Board of Elections|
|Illinois' 3rd Congressional District, Democratic primary|
|Poll||Debbie Halvorson||Toi Hutchinson||Robin Kelly||Napoleon Harris||Mel Reynolds||Anthony Beale||Other||Undecided||Margin of Error||Sample Size|
|GBA Strategies (January 3-7)||25%||16%||15%||9%||8%||10%||2%||15%||+/-4.4||500|
|Normington-Petts (January 8-10)||16%||12%||8%||7%||7%||5%||5%||40%||+/-4.9||400|
|Note: The polls above may not reflect all polls that have been conducted in this race. Those displayed are a random sampling chosen by Ballotpedia staff. If you would like to nominate another poll for inclusion in the table, send an email to email@example.com|
He and his wife, Debra, have a daughter, Jessica.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Larry + Pickens + Illinois + House"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
State of Illinois
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Comptroller | Auditor General | Superintendent of Education | Director of Insurance | Director of Agriculture | Director of Natural Resources | Director of Labor | Chairman of Commerce Commission |