Laws governing recall in Kansas
|Recalls by state|
|Recalls by year|
|Recalls by type|
State and local politicians
The relevant statutes define two separate categories of elected officials that can be recalled. These are State Officers and Local Officers. National officeholders and judicial officers are not subject to recall.
- State Officers are those persons holding the following positions: Governor, State Senator, State Representative, State Board of Education Member, Secretary of State, Attorney General, State Treasurer, and Insurance Commissioner.
- Local Officers are defined as any other elected officials (excluding those not subject to recall). Procedures and requirements for recalling these officers are handled separately by each local jurisdiction.
Grounds for recall
In Kansas, the specific grounds for the recall of state officers are defined as follows:
- conviction for a felony,
- misconduct in office,
- incompetence, or
- failure to perform duties prescribed by law.
No recall election - once held - can be made void due to the insufficiency of the grounds, application, or petition by which the submission was originally procured.
The number of valid signatures required for a recall election is 40 percent of the number of persons that voted in the last preceding election for the office of the incumbent sought to be recalled. The circulation has 90 days in which it can be circulated.
Appointment of a successor
In Kansas, the governor is responsible for appointing a successor to the recalled official. The appointed successor must be a member of the same political party as the officeholder recalled, and must be selected from a list submitted by a committee of the political party of the person recalled.
Kansas Secretary of State
Memorial Hall, 1st Floor
120 SW 10th Avenue
Topeka, KS 66612-1594
- National Conference of State Legislatures, Statewide Recall
- Kansas Recall Petition Guidelines
- Recall bar is set high in Kansas
State of Kansas
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Commissioner of Education | Commissioner of Insurance | Secretary of Agriculture | Secretary of Wildlife and Parks | Secretary of Labor | Corporation Commission |