Leon County Schools elections (2014)
Method of election
Leon County Schools
Leon County, Florida ballot measures
Local ballot measures, Florida
Three seats on the Leon County School Board were up for general election on August 26, 2014. Incumbent Forrest Van Camp was defeated by challenger Alva Swafford Striplin for the District 1 seat. Fellow board members Maggie Lewis-Butler and Georgia "Joy" Bowen won re-election without opposition in Districts 3 and 5, respectively.
About the district
- See also: Leon County Schools, Florida
Leon County outperformed the rest of Florida in terms of higher education achievement in 2012. The United States Census Bureau found that 43.5 percent of Leon County residents aged 25 years and older had attained a bachelor's degree compared to 26.2 percent for Florida as a whole. The median household income in Leon County was $45,915 compared to $47,309 for the state of Florida. The poverty rate in Leon County was 22.8 percent compared to 15.6 percent for the entire state.
Note: The United States Census Bureau considers "Hispanic or Latino" to be a place of origin rather than a race. Citizens may report both their race and their place of origin, and as a result, the percentages in each column of the racial demographics table may exceed 100 percent.
Method of board member selection
The Leon County School Board consists of five members elected to four-year terms. Each member represents a specific geographic district. There was a general election on August 26, 2014 and the runoff election took place on November 4, 2014 if no candidate received 50 percent or more of the general election vote.
Candidates for the school board filed for the election by June 20, 2014. The county's elections office hosted early voting for the general election at various locations from August 16, 2014, to August 23, 2014. The early voting window for the runoff election ran from October 25, 2014, to November 1, 2014. The last day to request a mailed absentee ballot in the general election was August 20, 2014.
- Maggie Lewis-Butler
- Georgia "Joy" Bowen
|Leon County Schools, District 1 General Election, 4-year term, 2014|
|Nonpartisan||Alva Swafford Striplin||58.8%||7,678|
|Nonpartisan||Forrest Van Camp Incumbent||41.2%||5,375|
|Source: Leon County Supervisor of Elections, "2014 Primary Election Unofficial Results," accessed August 26, 2014 These election results are unofficial. They will be updated once certified election results are available.|
District 1 candidate Alva Swafford Striplin received endorsements from the Tallahassee Board of Realtors, the Florida American Federation of Labor and Congress of Industrial Organizations (AFL-CIO), the Leon Classroom Teachers Association and Tallahassee Democrat.
Candidates received a total of $50,807.21 and spent a total of $47,000.49 by August 25, 2014, according to the Leon County Supervisor of Elections.
In the District 1 race, candidates raised a total of $46,695.21 and spent a total of $44,800.17.
|Alva Swafford Striplin||$26,595.21||$24,800.17|
|Forrest Van Camp||$20,100.00||$20,000.00|
In the District 3 race, candidates raised a total of $687.00 and spent a total of $125.13.
In the District 5 race, candidates raised a total of $3,425.00 and spent a total of $2,075.19.
|Georgia "Joy" Bowen||$3,425.00||$2,075.19|
Information about earlier elections can be found by clicking [show] at the right.
The following dates were key deadlines for the school board election in 2014:
|June 20, 2014||Last day of candidate filing period|
|August 16, 2014||First day of early voting in general election|
|August 20, 2014||Last day to request mailed absentee ballot for general election|
|August 23, 2014||Last day of early voting in general election|
|August 26, 2014||General election day|
Additional elections on the ballot
Area residents voted on county and statewide races on November 4, 2014. Residents of Leon County voted on races for county commission and county judge seats. Voters decided on a statewide ballot measure to amend the state constitution to allow the use of medical marijuana. The November 4, 2014, ballot included races for state legislature, state executive and U.S. House seats.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Leon + County + Schools + Florida"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Leon County Schools, Florida
- Florida school board elections, 2014
- List of school board elections in 2014
- School board elections, 2014
- Leon County, Florida ballot measures
- Local ballot measures, Florida
- United States Census Bureau, "Leon County, Florida," accessed July 8, 2014
- National Center for Education Statistics, "ELSI Table Generator," accessed July 7, 2014
- Leon County Supervisor of Elections, "Home," accessed July 8, 2014
- United States Census Bureau, "Frequently Asked Questions," accessed April 21, 2014
- Each column will add up to 100 percent after removing the "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin percentages, although rounding by the Census Bureau may make the total one- or two-tenths off from being exactly 100 percent. This Ballotpedia page provides a more detailed explanation of how the Census Bureau handles race and ethnicity in its surveys.
- Florida Division of Elections, "Calendar of Election Dates," accessed June 11, 2014
- Alva Striplin, "About," accessed August 26, 2014
- Leon County Supervisor of Elections, "Campaign Finance Reports," accessed August 25, 2014
|2014 Leon County Schools Elections|
|Leon County, Florida|
|Election date:||August 26, 2014|
|Candidates:||District 1: • Alva Swafford Striplin • Forrest Van Camp|
District 5: • Georgia "Joy" Bowen
|Important information:||Key deadlines • Additional elections on the ballot|