|Mississippi House of Representatives, District 1|
|2008 - present|
|January 3, 2016|
|Years in position||7|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 8, 2011|
|First elected||November 6, 2007|
|Next general||November 3, 2015|
|Associate's||Wallace State Community College|
Carpenter attended Paramedic School at Wallace State Community College and Northeast Mississippi Community College. His professional experience includes working as a paramedic.
During the 2012-2013 legislative session, Carpenter served on the following committees:
|Mississippi Committee Assignments, 2012|
|• Banking and Financial Services, Vice Chair|
|• County Affairs|
|• Judiciary A|
|• Judiciary En Banc|
|• Universities and Colleges|
|• Wildlife, Fisheries and Parks|
During the 2010-2011 legislative session, Carpenter served on the following committees:
|Mississippi Committee Assignments, 2010|
|• Interstate Cooperation, Vice Chair|
|• Banking and Financial Services|
|• County Affairs|
On November 8, 2011, Carpenter won re-election to District 1 of the Mississippi House of Representatives. He ran unopposed in the August 2 primary and defeated Thomas McCarley in the general election, which took place on November 8, 2011.
|Mississippi House of Representatives, District 1 General Election, 2011|
|Republican||Lester Carpenter Incumbent||67.9%||5,343|
On November 6, 2007, Carpenter defeated Democratic incumbent Ricky Cummings, receiving 3,929 votes.
|Mississippi House of Representatives, District 1 (2007)|
|Lester Carpenter (R)||3,929||53.84%|
|Ricky Cummings (D)||3,369||46.16%|
In 2011, Carpenter received $42,728 in campaign donations. The top contributors are listed below.
|Mississippi House of Representatives 2011 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Lester Carpenter's campaign in 2011|
|Mississippi House Republican Conference||$4,000|
|Forward MS PAC||$2,000|
|Mississippi Bankers Association||$2,000|
|Stogner, Jerry D||$1,500|
|Total Raised in 2011||$42,728|
|Total Votes received in 2011||5,343|
|Cost of each vote received||$8|
In 2007, Carpenter collected $35,891 in donations.
Listed below are the five largest contributors to his campaign.
|Mississippi Republican Party||$14,000|
|The Warhoog PAC||$2,500|
|Mississippi Association of Realtors||$2,000|
|Carpenter, Lester (Bubba)||$1,918|
|Mississippi Manufacturers Association||$1,500|
Legislative scorecards are used to evaluate elected public officials based on voting record. Some scorecards are created by political advocacy groups with a focus on specific issues, while others are developed by newspapers and are broad in scope. Scorecards are meant to be used as a tool for voters to have a quick picture of whether their views align with a particular legislator's record.
Because scorecards can be specific to particular issues or general to a state’s legislative term, for example, each report should be considered on its own merits. Each entity that publishes these reports uses different methodologies and definitions for the terms used.
Please see our writing guidelines if you would like to add results from an individual scorecard to this legislator's profile.
In 2014, the Legislature was in session from January 7 through April 2.
- Business and Industry Political Education Committee: Legislator "Business and Jobs" Report Card
- Legislators are scored on "economic growth, jobs and other broad job-related issues."
Carpenter has been President of the Burnsville Area Chamber of Commerce, and a member of the National Association of Emergency Medical Technicians and Tishomingo County Economic Development.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term Lester + Carpenter + Mississippi + Legislature
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Mississippi State Legislature
- Mississippi House of Representatives
- House Committees
- Joint Committees
- Mississippi state legislative districts
- Office website
- Profile from Open States
- Vote-MS.org profile
- Legislative profile from Project Vote Smart
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Lester Carpenter on Facebook
- Campaign contributions: 2009, 2007
- Project Vote Smart - Rep. Carpenter
- Mississippi Secretary of State, 2011 Official Primary Candidate List
- Mississippi Secretary of State, "2007 Statewide Elections," accessed February 14, 2014
- Follow the Money, "Mississippi 2011 - Candidates," accessed February 13, 2014
- Follow the Money, 2007 contributors to Lester Carpenter
- StateScape, "Session Schedules," accessed July 29, 2014
- Business and Industry Political Education Committee, "Legislator 'Business & Jobs' Report Card - 2014 Legislative Session," accessed August 30, 2014
|Mississippi House of Representatives District 1
| Succeeded by|
State of Mississippi
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | State Auditor | Superintendent of Education | Commissioner of Insurance | Commissioner of Agriculture and Commerce | Executive Director of Environmental Quality | Executive Director of Employment Security | Chairman of Public Service Commission |