For status updates, visit lucyburns.org.
Ballotpedia's coverage of elections held on March 3, 2015, was limited. Select races were covered live, and all results will be added once the merger is complete.
Lester Lunceford recall, Whittier, Alaska (2013)
Reasons for recall
Former City Council members Peter Denmark, Dave Goldstein, and Shawni Phillips started the recall effort, charging Lunceford with violations of Alaska Open Meeting Laws. The organizers stated:
|“||The legal basis for the recall election is for violations of the Open Meetings Act, Alaska State Statutes 44.62.310 & 312. An illegal Executive Session was conducted on January 15, 2013. The results of this meeting, convened to address ‘Financial matters that may have a negative impact on The City of Whittier’, were: 1. Discussion of personnel matters without notifying affected personnel, resulting in attacks on the character of the City employees in question. (Violation of State law.). Conducting an Executive Session with ‘erroneous specificity’ (Violation of State Law).||”|
Recall organizers also stated there was "an obvious lack of transparency in [the] local government under Mayor Lunceford’s leadership."
Regarding the charges of the recall effort, Lunceford told reporters that he did not violate any laws, and that the meeting was "regularly scheduled, publicly posted." He also said the executive session was "announced and allowed based on 'financial interests.'"
Path to the ballot
- See also: Laws governing recall in Alaska
After signatures were submitted and confirmed, a special recall election was scheduled for July 23, 2013.
|Recall Lester Lunceford -- Mayor, Whittier (2013)|
|Election results via: Alaska Dispatch (Newspaper)|
- Whittier, Alaksa city website
- Alaska Dispatch, "Tempers flare, charges fly in Whittier over effort to recall mayor," June 19, 2013
- The City of Whittier, "NOTICE OF A SPECIAL MUNICIPAL ELECTION TUESDAY, 23 JULY 2013," accessed: July 21, 2013 (dead link)
- Turnagain Times, "Recall election will determine Whittier Mayor’s fate," July 18, 2013
- Alaska Dispatch, "Whittier mayor out after fraught ballot count, but will city change?," July 31, 2013
- KTUU, "Whittier Recalls Mayor Lester Lunceford," July 30, 2013
- Note: This text is quoted verbatim from the original source. Any inconsistencies are attributed to the original source.
- KTVA, "Residents Work to Recall Whittier Mayor," May 23, 2013 (dead link)
State of Alaska
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Comptroller | Commissioner of the Department of Revenue | Commissioner of Education | Director of Insurance | Director of Agriculture | Commissioner of Natural Resources | Commissioner of Labor and Workforce Development | Regulatory Commission |