Liberty Public Schools elections (2014)
Method of election
What was at stake?
Liberty Public Schools
Clay County, Missouri ballot measures
Local ballot measures, Missouri
Three seats on the Liberty Public Schools school board were up for general election on April 8, 2014. Incumbents Kim-Marie Graham, Lori Tritz and newcomer Angela Reed triumphed over challengers Jesse Leimkuehler, Don Hubbs and Bruce Cantwell. Incumbent Bren Abbott did not file for re-election.
About the district
- See also: Liberty Public Schools, Missouri
Clay County outperforms the rest of Missouri in terms of higher education attainment, median income and poverty rate. The 2010 U.S. Census found that 30.6% of Clay County residents over 25 years old held undergraduate degrees compared to a 25.8% rate for the state of Missouri. Clay County had a median income of $60,560 in 2010 compared to $47,333 for Missouri. The poverty rate for Clay County was 8.3% in 2010 compared to a 15.0% rate for the rest of the state.
|Racial Demographics, 2010|
|Race||Clay County (%)||Missouri (%)|
|Black or African American||5.7||11.6|
|American Indian and Alaska Native||0.6||0.5|
|Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander||0.3||0.1|
|Two or More Races||2.4||2.1|
|Hispanic or Latino||6.2||3.5|
Note: The United States Census Bureau considers "Hispanic or Latino" to be a place of origin, not a race. Therefore, the Census allows citizens to report both their race and that they are from a "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin simultaneously. As a result, the percentages in each column of the racial demographics table will exceed 100 percent. Each column will add up to 100 percent after removing the "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin percentages, although rounding by the Census Bureau may make the total one or two tenths off from being exactly 100 percent.
Method of board member selection
The Liberty school board consists of seven members elected at-large to three-year terms. There was no primary election and the general election was held on April 8, 2014 for three seats. Two seats will be on the ballot in 2015.
Candidates began to file affidavits of candidacy on December 17, 2013. The filing deadline for school board candidates to get on the ballot in the general election was January 21, 2014 and the deadline for candidate certification was January 28, 2014.
- Bruce Cantwell
- Social worker
- Don Hubbs
- Kim-Marie Graham
- Human resources personnel
- Graduate, University of California at San Diego and University of Missouri at Kansas City
- Jesse Leimkuehler
- CEO and Operations Manager, Belvoir Winery
- Graduate, William Jewell College and University of Missouri at Kansas City
- Angela Reed
- Lori Tritz
- Incumbent and board vice president
- Owner, HR Fuzion, LLC, human resources firm
- Graduate, University of Central Missouri
|Liberty Public Schools, At-Large General Election, 3-year term, 2014|
|Nonpartisan||Kim-Marie Graham Incumbent||25.4%||1,294|
|Nonpartisan||Lori Tritz Incumbent||25.3%||1,286|
|Source: Clay County, Missouri, "General Municipal Election," April 9, 2014 (dead link) These election results are unofficial. They will be updated once certified election results are available.|
No candidate filed a campaign finance report with the Missouri Ethics Commission in this election.
Information about earlier elections can be found by clicking [show] at the right.
What was at stake?
Three seats on the Liberty school board were up for general election on April 8, 2014. Incumbents Kim-Marie Graham, Lori Tritz and newcomer Angela Reed triumphed over challengers Jesse Leimkuehler, Don Hubbs and Bruce Cantwell. Incumbent Bren Abbott did not file for re-election.
The following dates were key deadlines for the Liberty Public Schools election in 2014:
|December 17, 2013||First day for candidate filing|
|December 24, 2013||First day for candidate filing (Kansas City)|
|January 21, 2014||Last day for candidate filing|
|January 28, 2014||Final certification date|
|March 12, 2014||Last day to register to vote|
|April 8, 2014||Election day|
Additional elections on the ballot
The Liberty school board election shared the ballot with other municipal elections in Clay County.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Liberty + Public + Schools + Missouri"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Liberty Public Schools, Missouri
- Missouri school board elections, 2014
- List of school board elections in 2014
- School board elections, 2014
- Clay County, Missouri ballot measures
- Local ballot measures, Missouri
- Election preview: More than 100 candidates running in California, Missouri and South Dakota school board elections
- Post-election:Incumbents fare well in Missouri, South Dakota and California school board elections
- U.S. Census, "Quick Facts: Clay County," accessed February 3, 2014
- United States Census Bureau, "Frequently Asked Questions," accessed April 21, 2014
- Missouri Secretary of State, "2014 Election Calendar," accessed February 6, 2014
- Liberty Tribune staff, Liberty Tribune, "Graham, Tritz and Reed our picks for school board," March 27, 2014
- Missouri Ethics Commission, "Campaign Finance Reports," accessed April 9, 2014
|2014 Liberty Public Schools Elections|
|Clay County, Missouri|
|Election date:||April 8, 2014|
|Candidates:||At-large: Bruce Cantwell • Don Hubbs • Incumbent, Kim-Marie Graham • Jesse Leimkuehler • Angela Reed • Incumbent, Lori Tritz|
|Important information:||What was at stake? • Key deadlines • Additional elections on the ballot|