Lieutenant Governor of North Dakota
|North Dakota Lieutenant Governor|
|Office website:||Official Link|
|Length of term:||4 years|
|Authority:||North Dakota Constitution, Article V, Section II|
|Assumed office:||December 7, 2010|
|Next election:||November 8, 2016|
|Last election:||November 6, 2012|
|Other North Dakota Executive Offices|
|Governor • Lieutenant Governor • Secretary of State • Attorney General • Treasurer • Auditor • Superintendent of Education • Agriculture Commissioner • Insurance Commissioner • Natural Resources Commissioner • Labor Commissioner • Public Service Commission • Tax Commissioner|
- See also: Current Lieutenant Governors
Under Article V, Section II:
The qualified electors of the state at the times and places of choosing members of the legislative assembly shall choose a governor, lieutenant governor...
A candidate for lieutenant governor must be:
- at least 30 years old
- a resident of North Dakota for at least five years
- a duly registered elector of North Dakota
Details of vacancies are addressed under Article V, Section 11.
Anytime the Lieutenant Governor is unable, temporarily or permanently, to discharge the office, the secretary of State of North Dakota shall assume the office until the disability is removed.
They have such other responsibilities and duties as the Governor shall assign.
North Dakota elects lieutenant governors in the Presidential elections, that is, in leap years. For North Dakota, 2004, 2008, 2012, and 2016 are all lieutenant gubernatorial election years. Legally, the lieutenant gubernatorial inauguration is always set for the fifteenth of December following an election. Thus, December 15, 2012 and December 15, 2016 are inaugural days.
If two candidates are tied after the general election, a special joint session of the legislature shall cast ballots to choose among the two highest vote getters.
To view the electoral history dating back to 2000 for the office of Governor/Lt. Governor of North Dakota, Click [show] to expand the section.
Note: Ballotpedia's state executive officials project researches state official websites for information that describes the divisions (if any exist) of a state executive office. That information for the Lieutenant Governor of North Dakota has not yet been added. After extensive research we were unable to identify any relevant information on state official websites. If you have any additional information about this office for inclusion on this section and/or page, please email us.
The lieutenant governor's pay is set by law and may not be increased or diminished effective during the current term.
Note: Ballotpedia's state executive officials project researches state official websites for chronological lists of historical officeholders. That information for the Lieutenant Governor of North Dakota has not yet been added because the information was unavailable on the relevant state official websites, or we are currently in the process of formatting the list for this office. If you have any additional information about this office for inclusion on this section and/or page, please email us.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term "North Dakota" + Lieutenant Governor
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
600 East Boulevard Avenue
Bismarck, ND 58505-0001
- Governor: Jack Dalrymple (R)
- Lieutenant Governor: Drew Wrigley (R)
- Attorney General: Wayne Stenehjem (R)
- Auditor of State: Robert Peterson (R)
- Secretary of State: Al Jaeger (R)
- Commissioner of Agriculture: Doug Goehring (R)
- Treasurer of State: Kelly Schmidt (R)
- North Dakota Secretary of State Archived Election Results, "Primary Election Results - 1964," accessed March 18, 2014
- The New Salem Journal, "Sample Ballot, Primary Election," August 23, 1978 accessed March 21, 2014
- North Dakota Secretary of State, "Unofficial results, primary election," accessed June 12, 2012
- Bismark Tribune, "General Election Results," accessed November 6, 2012
- Council of State Governments, "SELECTED STATE ADMINISTRATIVE OFFICIALS: ANNUAL SALARIES," January 27, 2014
State of North Dakota
List of North Dakota ballot measures | Local measures | School bond issues | Ballot measure laws | Initiative laws | History of I&R | History of direct democracy | Campaign Finance Requirements | Recall process |
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | State Auditor | Superintendent of Public Instruction | Commissioner of Insurance | Commissioner of Agriculture | Director of Game and Fish | Commissioner of Labor | Public Service Commission |