Linda Coleman, Alabama Senator
|Alabama State Senate District 20|
|November 5, 2018|
|Years in position||9|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 4, 2014|
|Next general||November 6, 2018|
|Alabama House of Representatives|
|Bachelor's||Alabama A & M, 1971|
|Master's||University of Alabama - Birmingham, 1976|
|Place of birth||Birmingham, AL|
Coleman received a B.S. in Education from Alabama A & M University and a Master's degree from the University of Alabama.
2015 legislative session
At the beginning of the 2015 legislative session, Coleman served on the following committees:
|Alabama Committee Assignments, 2015|
|• Banking and Insurance|
|• Constitution, Ethics and Elections|
|• Governmental Affairs|
|• Health and Human Services|
|• Jefferson County Legislation|
|• Transportation and Energy|
Coleman served on these committees in the 2011-2012 legislative session:
|Alabama Committee Assignments, 2011|
|• Children, Youth Affairs and Human Resources|
|• Fiscal Responsibility and Accountability|
|• Governmental Affairs|
|• Job Creation and Economic Development|
|• Local Legislation No. 2|
- See also: Alabama State Senate elections, 2014
Elections for the office of Alabama State Senate took place in 2014. A primary election took place on June 3, 2014; a runoff election took place where necessary on July 15, 2014. The general election was held on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was February 7, 2014. Incumbent Linda Coleman was unopposed in the Democratic primary and was unchallenged in the general election.
- See also: Alabama State Senate elections, 2010
Coleman ran for re-election to the 20th District seat in 2010. She won with no opposition in the November 2 general election.
Coleman raised $201,043 for her campaign, while Glenn raised $9,432.
|Alabama State Senate, District 20 (2006)|
|Linda Coleman (D)||24,584|
|Mel Glenn (R)||16,096|
In 2010, Coleman raised $111,400 in contributions.
Her three largest contributors were:
|Alabama Power Co||$10,000|
In 2006, Coleman collected $201,043 in donations.
Her four largest contributors in 2006 were:
|Alabama Education Association||$25,742|
|Alabama Trial Lawyers Association||$10,000|
Legislative scorecards are used to evaluate elected public officials based on voting record. Some scorecards are created by political advocacy groups with a focus on specific issues, while others are developed by newspapers and are broad in scope. Scorecards are meant to be used as a tool for voters to have a quick picture of whether their views align with a particular legislator's record.
Because scorecards can be specific to particular issues or general to a state’s legislative term, for example, each report should be considered on its own merits. Each entity that publishes these reports uses different methodologies and definitions for the terms used.
Please see our writing guidelines if you would like to add results from an individual scorecard to this legislator's profile.
Note: As of March 2015, we were unable to locate any scorecards for the state of Alabama. If you are aware of a scorecard Ballotpedia has not included please email it to email@example.com.
Coleman lives in Birmingham, Alabama.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Linda + Coleman + Alabama + Senate." Because the results are from a Google search, it is possible that some of the links below are not actually related to the legislator.
- Alabama State Senate
- Senate Committees
- Alabama State Legislature
- Alabama state legislative districts
- Personal website of Linda Coleman
- Official Alabama State Senate website of Senator Linda Coleman
- Profile from Open States
- Legislative Profile from Project Vote Smart
- Project Vote Smart biography of Senator Linda Coleman (AL)
- Campaign Contributions: 2010, 2006, 2002, 1998
- Alabama Democrats, "Qualified candidates for public office list," accessed February 25, 2014
- Alabama Republican Party, "State Senate," accessed February 25, 2014
- Alabama Secretary of State, "Official Democratic Primary Results," accessed June 20, 2014
- Alabama Secretary of State, "Official Republican Primary Results," accessed June 20, 2014
- Alabama Secretary of State, "Official 2010 General election results," accessed July 18, 2014
- Alabama Secretary of State, "Official 2006 election results," accessed April 15, 2014
- Follow The Money, "Funds raised by 2006 Alabama Senate candidates," accessed April 15, 2014
- Follow the Money, "2010 contributions," accessed December 23, 2013
- 2006 contributions to Linda Coleman
|Alabama House of Representatives
| Succeeded by|
|Alabama State Senate District 20
| Succeeded by|