|Minnesota State Senate District 58|
|1997 - 2013|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 2, 2010|
|Associate's||Iowa Lakes Community College|
|Bachelor's||Mankato State College|
|Birthday||November 11, 1950|
|Place of birth||Algona, IA|
Higgins graduated from Iowa Lakes Community College with her Bachelor's Degree and later graduated from Minnesota State with her Bachelor's degree. Higgins is a former free-lance writer.
In the 2011-2012 legislative session, Higgins served on these committees:
- Capital Investment
- Environment and Natural Resources, Ranking Minority Member
- Health and Human Services
In the 2009-2010 legislative session, Higgins served on these committees:
- Health, Housing and Family Security
- Judiciary Budget Division
- Public Safety Budget Division (Chair)
- See also: Minnesota State Senate elections, 2012
In November 2011, Higgins announced she would not be seeking re-election in 2012.“I’ve been honored to serve the residents of North and Downtown Minneapolis for 15 years. I’m proud of what we have accomplished, and I’m grateful to have had the opportunity to serve our community,” she said.
- See also: Minnesota State Senate elections, 2010
Higgins won re-election to the 58th District seat in 2010. She defeated Troy Parker and Kale Severson in the primary. Hayley Astrup ran for the seat on the Republican ticket. The general election took place on November 2, 2010.
|Minnesota State Senate, District 58 (2010)|
|Linda Higgins (DFL)||13955||80.27%|
|Hayley Astrup (R)||3378||19.43%|
|Minnesota State Senate, District 58 (2006)|
|Linda Higgins (DFL)||14,598||78.93%|
|Jim Lilly (R)||3,830||20.71%|
In 2010, Higgins received $34,460 in campaign donations. The top contributors are listed below.
|Minnesota State Senate 2010 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Linda Higgins's campaign in 2010|
|Minneapolis Federation Of Teachers Local 59||$500|
|Cmte Of 13 Leg Fund||$500|
|Inter Faculty Organization||$500|
|Minneapolis Police Relief Association||$500|
|Total Raised in 2010||$34,460|
In 2006, Higgins collected $50,593 in donations.
Her five largest contributors in 2006 were:
|Minnesota Police Relief Association||$500|
|Minnesota Nurses Association/MNA||$500|
|Minnesota Hospital Association||$500|
|Minnesota Chiropractic Association||$500|
Taxpayers League of Minnesota
The Taxpayers League of Minnesota, a Minnesota-based taxpayer advocacy organization, releases a legislative scorecard for the Minnesota House of Representatives and Minnesota State Senate once a year. The scorecard gives each legislator a score based on how they voted in the prior legislative term on tax issues and “their efforts to balance the state budget without a tax increase.” The organization also compiles a legislator’s individual "Lifetime Score."
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term Linda + Higgins + Minnesota + Senate
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
Higgins represents Minnesota Senate District 58. District 58 includes Downtown Minneapolis.
Linda is married to Brian Bushay and reside in Minneapolis, Minnesota.
- Linda Higgins official campaign website
- Linda Higgins official Minnesota State Senate website
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Legislative Profile from Project Vote Smart
- Campaign Contributions: 2010, 2008, 2006, 2004, 2002, 2000, 1996
- "Minnesota Senate" List of Standing Committees
- Twin Cities Daily Planet, "Sen. Higgins won't run after 2012, Champion will," November 27, 2011
- Minnesota Secretary of State, "Official Results General Election - Nov. 7, 2006," accessed May 15, 2014
- Follow the Money, "2010 contributions," accessed December 23, 2013
- 2006 contributions to Linda Higgins
- Taypayers League of Minnesota, "Legislative Scorecards," accessed May 15, 2014
- Taypayers League of Minnesota, "Legislative Scorecard, 2012," accessed May 15, 2014
- Taypayers League of Minnesota, "Legislative Scorecard, 2011," accessed May 15, 2014
- "Minnesota Secretary of State" Map of Senate District 58
|Minnesota State Senate District 58
| Succeeded by|
Dave Thompson (R)