Linda Van Matre
|Linda Van Matre|
|Board Member, Academy School District 20, At-large|
|Years in position||5|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 5, 2013|
|First elected||November, 2009|
|Next general||November, 2017|
|Bachelor's||DeVry Institute of Technology|
|Master's||University of Denver|
Van Matre resides in El Paso County, Colorado. Van Matre graduated from the DeVry Institute of Technology in 1985 with a B.S. degree in Computer Information Systems before earning her Master's degree in the same field from the University of Denver in 1991. She spent seven years employed with US West Communications as a programmer, systems analyst and project manager, and she has also spent time teaching computer courses at the University of Denver. From 2005 to 2010, Van Matre worked as an aquatic fitness instructor at the Briargate Family YMCA.
|Academy School District 20, At-large General Election, 4-year term, 2013|
|Nonpartisan||Catherine Bullock Incumbent||24%||12,019|
|Nonpartisan||Linda Van Matre Incumbent||23.2%||11,642|
|Nonpartisan||Larry Norman Borland||23.1%||11,576|
|Nonpartisan||Andrea Van Nort||18.6%||9,305|
|Source: El Paso County, Colorado, "2013 Coordinated Election," November 14, 2013|
Van Matre received endorsements for her 2013 campaign from former board member Elizabeth Anderson, the Colorado Springs Independent, the Housing & Building Association and the Pikes Peak Association of Realtors.
|Academy School District 20, At-large General Election, 4-year term, 2009|
|Nonpartisan||Doug Lundberg Incumbent||18.9%||8,938|
|Nonpartisan||Linda Van Matre Incumbent||17.1%||8,057|
|Nonpartisan||James M. Jenista||6.2%||2,924|
|Source: El Paso County, Colorado, "Election Summary Report, 2009 El Paso County Coordinated Election," accessed October 8, 2013|
Van Matre's campaign website listed the following campaign themes for 2013:
Note: The above quote is from the candidate's website, which may include some typographical or spelling errors.
What was at stake?
Three seats, including those of the board president, vice president and treasurer were at stake. Doug Lundberg, who served as the vice president of the board, was ineligible to run for another term because of Amendment 17 to the Colorado Constitution, which states that no "elected official of any...school district....shall serve more than two consecutive terms in office." Incumbents Linda Van Matre and Catherine Bullock ran for re-election against challengers Shannon Mendes, Larry Norman Borland and Andrea Van Nort.
About the district
- See also: Academy School District 20, Colorado
El Paso County outperformed the rest of Colorado in terms of its poverty rate, but underperformed in terms of its average household income and higher education achievement in 2011. The median household income in El Paso County is $57,079 compared to $57,685 for the state of Colorado. The poverty rate in El Paso County is 11.7% compared to 12.5% for the entire state. The U.S. Census also found that 35.1% of El Paso County residents aged 25 years and older attained a bachelor's degree compared to 36.3% in Colorado as a whole.
Note: The United States Census Bureau considers "Hispanic or Latino" to be a place of origin, not a race. Therefore, the Census allows citizens to report both their race and that they are from a "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin simultaneously. As a result, the percentages in each column of the racial demographics table will exceed 100.0%. Each column will add up to 100.0% after removing the "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin percentages.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Linda + Van + Matre + Academy + School + District"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Vote for Linda Van Matre Academy School District 20 Board of Education, "Background," accessed October 8, 2013
- Colorado TRACER, "Candidate Detail," accessed December 19, 2013
- Vote for Linda Van Matre Academy School District 20 Board of Education, "Endorsements," accessed November 4, 2013
- Colorado Springs Independent, "Help for education, taxes for RMJ sales," October 23, 2013
- Vote for Linda Van Matre Academy School District 20 Board of Education, "Home," accessed October 8, 2013
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named
Cite error: Invalid
- El Paso County, Colorado, "Official Sample Ballot for 2013 Coordinated Election," accessed October 2, 2013
- United States Census Bureau, "El Paso County, Colorado," accessed August 7, 2013
- Colorado Secretary of State, "Total Registered Voters By Party Affiliation and Status," accessed October 2, 2013
- United States Census Bureau, "Frequently Asked Questions," accessed April 21, 2014