Lisa Phifer Ross
|Lisa Phifer Ross|
|Washington House of Representatives, District 49b|
|Elections and appointments|
|Next general||November 4, 2014|
|Bachelor's||University of Alabama|
|Master's||Western Governors University|
Ross earned a B.A. in Philosophy from the University of Alabama and a B.S. in Accounting from Western Governors University. She later earned a M.B.A. from Western Governors University in 2013. Ross has been a ballot recount supervisor with Fair and Honest Elections as well as a delegate to the 2012 Republican National Convention in Tampa, Florida. She is currently an accountant and interim controller with Columbia River Mental Health Services.
Elections for all 49 districts (98 seats) in the Washington House of Representatives will take place in 2014. A blanket primary election took place on August 5, 2014. The general election will be held on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was May 17, 2014. Incumbent James Moeller (D) and Lisa Phifer Ross (R) defeated Carolyn Crain (R) in the primary. Moeller and Ross will face off in the general election.
|Washington House of Representatives, District 49b Top Two Primary, 2014|
|Democratic||Jim Moeller Incumbent||55%||11,381|
Ross sought election to the board against incumbent Kathy Gillespie in the November 5, 2013, general election.
|Vancouver Board of Directors, Position 3, Four-year term, 2013|
|Nonpartisan||Kathy Gillespie Incumbent||53%||11,974|
|Nonpartisan||Lisa Phifer Ross||47%||10,622|
|Source: Clark County Auditor's Office, "November 5, 2013 General Election," November 26, 2013|
Ross reported no contributions or expenditures to the Washington Public Disclosure Commission.
Ross provided the following statement for the 2013 Local Voters' Pamphlet in Clark County:
"I am a product of public schools, and both of my daughters attended Vancouver public schools. I have a CPA and an M.B.A., and I would like to bring my business and financial sense to help improve the school district.
I believe that we should focus on the classroom, insuring that additional funds are used at that level instead of additional layers of administration.
I believe that principals should have more control over their budgets and personnel.
I believe that the financial information provided by the school board should be more transparent and understandable."
Note: The above quote is from the candidate's website, which may include some typographical or spelling errors.
What was at stake?
About the district
- See also: Vancouver Public Schools, Washington
Vancouver lags behind the rest of Washington based on median income, poverty levels and higher education achievement. The 2010 U.S. Census found the median income in Vancouver was $50,387 while the state median income was $58,890. The city's poverty rate was 15.5% compared to the state's 12.5% poverty rate. The percentage of city residents over 25 years old with undergraduate degrees (23.5%) was lower than the state average (31.4%).
Note: The United States Census Bureau considers "Hispanic or Latino" to be a place of origin, not a race. Therefore, the Census allows citizens to report both their race and that they are from a "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin simultaneously. As a result, the percentages in each column of the racial demographics table will exceed 100 percent. Each column will add up to 100 percent after removing the "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin percentages, although rounding by the Census Bureau may make the total one or two tenths off from being exactly 100 percent.
In 2014, Ross's endorsements include the following:
- State Rep. Liz Pike (R)
- Gun Owners Action League of Washington
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Lisa + Phifer + Ross + Washington + House"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Washington State Legislature
- Washington state legislative districts
- Washington House of Representatives
- Washington House of Representatives elections, 2014
- Washington school districts
- Vancouver School District elections (2013)
- Vancouver School District, Washington
- Official campaign website
- Lisa Ross on Facebook
- Lisa Ross on YouTube
- Lisa Ross on Twitter
- Lisa Ross on LinkedIn
- Washington State Legislature
- Profile by Vote-USA
- Local Voters' Pamphlet profile
- Washington Secretary of State, "2014 Candidates Who Have Filed," accessed May 20, 2014
- LinkedIn, "Lisa Phifer Ross," accessed September 23, 2013
- Washington Secretary of State, "August 5, 2014 Primary Results," accessed August 5, 2014
- Washington Public Disclosure Commission, "Local Candidates," accessed December 17, 2013
- Clark County Auditor, "Local Voters' Pamphlet," accessed September 23, 2013
- U.S. Census, "Quick Facts: Vancouver," accessed September 20, 2013
- Clark County Auditor's Office, "Election Results," September 20, 2013
- United States Census Bureau, "Frequently Asked Questions," accessed April 21, 2014
- Facebook, "Lisa Ross for 49th," accessed July 16, 2014
State of Washington
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | State Auditor | Superintendent of Public Instruction | Commissioner of Insurance | Director of Agriculture | Commissioner of Public Lands | Director of Labor and Industries | Chairman of Utilities and Transportation |