Lobsters ahoy! Connecticut Gov. liberates while Maine's declares celebratory feast
By Greg Janetka
|Govs make headlines with lobsters|
PORTLAND, Maine: With lobsters grabbing the headlines this week, two New England governors saw an opportunity and stepped in. It began Monday when a 21-pound "monster lobster" arrived at Boston's New England Aquarium. While the new resident does not yet have a name, it evoked recollections of "Lobzilla," a 35-pounder who lived at the aquarium in the 1980s.
The following day, "Lucky Larry" the lobster caught the eye of the press in Waterford, Connecticut, when he was purchased by a local man and released into Long Island Sound as children chanted "Let Larry Live."
With Larry fresh on the minds of crustacean-loving residents, Connecticut Governor Dan Malloy (D) stepped in on Wednesday and issued a pardon to a 15-pound lobster that was to be prepared at Abbott's Lobster in the Rough restaurant. The lobster, who remained unnamed, was released by the governor into the Mystic River. State tourism director Randy Fiveash compared the act to the annual presidential pardon of a Thanksgiving turkey.
That very same day, Maine Governor Paul LePage (R) signed a proclamation officially declaring August as "Maine Lobster Month." As the proclamation states, "Maine and lobsters go together in the public mind across America and throughout the world." One of the most famous lobsters in Maine may just be Loretta Lobster, who, along with Mozzie Moose, make up the welcoming committee for those visiting the kids section of Maine's official website.
Loretta states that, "Maine is a great state to visit and an even better place to live. We have beautiful rocky coastlines and lush green forest lands." Among her favorite topics are famous people from Maine and state symbols.
It remains to be seen if other governors will jump on the lobster-based PR bandwagon.
- Boston.com, "21-pound lobster donated to New England Aquarium," July 24, 2012
- Huffington Post, "'Lucky Larry,' 17-Pound Lobster, Released Into Long Island Sound," July 25, 2012
- Washington Post, "Connecticut’s governor issues pardon for 15-pound lobster, releases it in Mystic River," July 26, 2012
- Seacoast Online, "Gov. LePage proclaims August 'Maine Lobster Month'," July 25, 2012
- Maine.gov, "Mozzie Moose & Loretta Lobster Animation Transcript," accessed July 27, 2012