A tax may be defined as a "any contribution imposed by government upon individuals, for the use and service of the state."
Evaluating government websites
- Information about all taxes levied by the government whose website it is.
- School District example: if property taxes fund a school district, we'd expect disclosure that the property tax of XXX percent goes to funding the local school district.
- County / City example: List of local taxes, ability to pay taxes online.
- Tax revenues stated in the budget. This is common in school district budgets who often break their revenue down by local, state, and federal.
- Example of proactively disclosed tax information: Anderson County, SC