Los Angeles Times
Since 1942, L.A. Times has won 41 Pulitzer Prizes. Of these 41 Pulitzer Prizes, six are gold medals for public service.
The L.A. Times is the largest metropolitan daily newspaper in the United States. It currently has a daily readership of 1.5 million and 2.6 million on Sunday. In addition, more than 22 million people visit the latimes.com on a monthly basis. Together, the L.A. Times has a combined print and online local weekly audience of 4 million readers.
Like many newspapers today, the Los Angeles Times found itself in financial trouble even in its early years. After the original founders of the newspaper found themselves with finance issues, it became property of its printer, the Mirror Printing Office and Book Bindery. After rebuilding and finding success, then-editor Harrison Gray Otis purchased the L.A. Times, and officially became known as the Los Angeles Times in October 1886. The Chandlers, a well-known family of the Los Angeles area, owned the newspaper from 1917 until 2000. In 1917, the Chandlers inherited the newspaper after Otis, a family member, passed away. When the L.A. Times was sold to Tribune in 2000, it was reported by Forbes magazine that the Chandlers profited $1 billion from the deal. However, in December 2008, the Tribune Company filed for bankruptcy protection.
Editorial positions on California ballot propositions
|Proposition||Description||LA Times editorial position||Status of proposition|
|California Proposition 91 (2008)||Transportation funding||-||Defeated|
|California Proposition 92 (2008)||Community College funding||-||Defeated|
|California Proposition 93 (2008)||Alter term limits||
|California Proposition 94 (2008)||Tribal Gaming Compacts||
|California Proposition 95 (2008)||Tribal Gaming Compacts||
|California Proposition 96 (2008)||Tribal Gaming Compacts||
|California Proposition 97 (2008)||Tribal Gaming Compacts||
Los Angeles Times
202 W. 1st St.
Los Angeles, CA 90012
Phone: (213) 237-5000
- Los Angeles Times
- Los Angeles Times, "The Times' 128-year history"
- Los Angeles Almanac, "The Los Angeles Times - Los Angeles County's Oldest and Highest Circulation Newspaper"
- Los Angeles Times Magazine
- Los Angeles Times on Facebook
- Los Angeles Times on Twitter
- Los Angeles Times on iTunes
- Los Angeles Times on Tumblr
- Los Angeles Times on YouTube
- Los Angeles Times, "Press"
- Tribune Company
- Ainsworth, Ed. (1941). History of Los Angeles Times
- Gottlieb, Robert. (1977). Thinking Big: the story of the Los Angeles times, its publishers and their influence on Southern California, New York: Putnam
- Halberstam, David. (1979). The Powers That Be, New York: Knopf
- Hart, Jack R. (1981). The information empire: The rise of the Los Angeles Times and the Times Mirror Corporation, Washington, D.C.: University Press of America
- Los Angeles Times, "Times' Pulitzer Prizes," accessed April 29, 2014
- Los Angeles Times, "Facts," accessed April 29, 2014
- Los Angeles Times, "About," accessed April 29, 2014
- Los Angeles Times, "The Times' 128-year history," accessed April 29, 2014
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named
Cite error: Invalid
- Los Angeles Times, "Owner of L.A. Times files for bankruptcy," accessed April 29, 2014