Los Fresnos Consolidated Independent School District elections (2013)
Method of election
What was at stake?
Los Fresnos Consolidated Independent School District
Cameron County, Texas ballot measures
Local ballot measures, Texas
Two seats were up for election on the Los Fresnos CISD Board on November 5, 2013. Incumbent Martin Castillo won re-election over challenger Janice Metsker-Galarza for Position 1, while unopposed incumbent Ruben R. Trevino kept the Position 2 seat.
About the districtCameron County, Texas. The county seat of Cameron County is Brownsville. Cameron County is home to 406,220 residents, according to the United States Census Bureau. Los Fresnos Consolidated Independent School District is the 101st-largest school district in Texas, serving 10,310 students during the 2011-2012 school year.
Cameron County underperformed in comparison to the rest of Texas in terms of higher education achievement in 2012. The United States Census Bureau found that 14.9 percent of Cameron County residents aged 25 years and older had attained a bachelor's degree compared to 26.3 percent for Texas as a whole. The median household income in Cameron County was $32,558 compared to $51,563 for the state of Texas. The poverty rate in Cameron County was 34.9 percent compared to 17.4 percent for the entire state.
|Racial Demographics, 2012|
|Race||Cameron County (%)||Texas (%)|
|Black or African American||0.8||12.4|
|American Indian and Alaska Native||0.6||1.0|
|Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander||0.1||0.1|
|Two or More Races||0.5||1.8|
|Hispanic or Latino||88.5||38.4|
Note: The United States Census Bureau considers "Hispanic or Latino" to be a place of origin, not a race. Therefore, the Census allows citizens to report both their race and that they are from a "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin simultaneously. As a result, the percentages in each column of the racial demographics table will exceed 100 percent. Each column will add up to 100 percent after removing the "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin percentages, although rounding by the Census Bureau may make the total one or two tenths off from being exactly 100 percent.
Method of board member selection
The Los Fresnos CISD Independent School District board is made up of seven members who serve three-year terms and are elected in a nonpartisan election. The members do not receive compensation. The LFCISD did not hold a primary election and the general election was held on November 5, 2013.
- Ruben R. Trevino
- Incumbent and Board Secretary
|Los Fresnos Consolidated Independent School Board, Position 1, 3-year term, 2013|
|Independent||Martin Castillo Incumbent||81.4%||360|
|Source: Action 4 News, "November 2013 Election Results - FINAL," accessed December 12, 2013|
No endorsements were made in this election.
No contributions or expenditures were reported during the election, according to the Texas Ethics Commission.
What was at stake?
Two seats were up for election on November 5, 2013 for Positions 1 & 2. Both incumbents were re-elected to their seats.
The following dates were key deadlines for the Los Fresnos Consolidated Independent School District election in 2013:
|July 27, 2013||First day for filing nominating petitions|
|August 26, 2013||Last day to file nominating petitions|
|November 5, 2013||Election day|
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Los Fresnos+ Consolidated + Independent + School + District + Texas"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Texas school board candidates concentrate on funding, maintaining accountability
- School board election wrap-up: Incumbents re-elected overwhelmingly in November 5 elections
- School board elections review: Voters opt for experience over new blood in nation's largest school districts
- Los Fresnos Consolidated Independent School District, Texas
- List of school board elections in 2013
- Cameron County, Texas ballot measures
- Local ballot measures, Texas
- United States Census Bureau, "Cameron County, Texas," accessed August 5, 2014
- National Center for Education Statistics, "ELSI Table Generator," accessed August 5, 2014
- United States Census Bureau, "Frequently Asked Questions," accessed April 21, 2014
- Trustee - Members Accessed September 10, 2013
- Texas Ethics Commission Search Campaign Finance Reports, accessed December 26, 2013
- Important 2013 Election Dates Accessed August 8, 2013