Los Lunas Public Schools, New Mexico
|Transparency grading process|
- Main article: Evaluation of New Mexico school district websites
- School board members are listed with contact information.
- Meeting schedule, minutes, and agendas are posted.
- District report card and other assessments are posted.
- Annual financial audits are posted.
- Labor contracts are posted.
- Administrative officials are listed with contact information.
- Information on background checks is posted.
- Bid procedures are posted.
- Bids and requests for proposals, invitation for bids, and current contracts are posted.
- Policy on inspection of public records is posted, but contact information/form are not available.
- Information on taxes is not available.
- Current budget is not available (2010-2011 or 2011-2012).
The Los Lunas School Board consists of five members representing individual districts. Term length is four years.
Current Board Issues
- The School Board is debating whether or not to adopt a new comment policy. The new policy would not allow members to comment on items not on the agenda for the meeting. The argument is that if they speak on things not on the agenda then those who are not at the meeting are potentially missing out of the chance to comment and are not informed that a discussion took place.
- A Bosque Farms mom has asked the School Board to consider adding an elective class to study the Bible as literature and history. Some Board members were receptive and Superintendent Bernard Saiz said it's possible, but it would have to be open to all religions. The proposed Bible Schools curriculum is currently used in 38 states.
- Los Lunas has revised its opt-out section of its sex education policy because the state now requires a separate opt-out form. It requires that teachers make parents aware of state standards, and to come to an accord on alternate assignments to meet the standards.
- Desi Garcia, Director of Safety and Security for Los Luna Public Schools, has asked the School Board to consider allowing School Resource Officers the ability to carry firearms on school grounds.
The current Collective Bargaining Agreement with the district and the National Education Association (NEA)- Los Lunas runs 2009-2012 and can be found here. The 2009-2012 contract between Los Lunas and National Education Association (NEA)- Los Lunas Educational Support Professionals can be found here.
According to Teacher Salary Info the average teacher salary in Los Lunas is $47,391. The table below outlines salaries.
|Grade Level||Average||10th percentile||25th percentile||Median||75th percentile||90th percentile|
|Karen||Wolfe||Executive Assistant Superintendent|
|Vicki||Parker||Director of Purchasing|
|Dana||Sanders||Assistant Superintendent of Staff and Student Services|
|Patricio||Rojas||Director of Research, Data, and Assessment|
|Desi||Garcia||Director of Safety and Security|
The 2011-2012 total operating budget is $55,800,000. To cut $1,180,000 from the budget 22 jobs had to be eliminated and class sizes will have to expand. The state is sending $55,200,000 or about $3,600 per unit. The following table outlines the cuts to the budget.
|2 Elementary Assistant Principals||$150,000|
|2 Full-TimeCoordinators and 1 part-time||$210,000|
|4 Secondary Teachers||$200,000|
|6 Teacher Positions||$300,000|
|Athletic Budget||$15,000 Reduction|
The district has not made Adequate Yearly Progress (AYP) in the past two years which makes the district designated Corrective Action 2.
Out of all students, 55.65% were not proficient in math and 46.55% were not proficient in reading.
The graduation rate for 2010-2011 was 75%.
- Los Lunas Public Schools official site
- Great Schools - district profile
- School Matters - district profile
- Los Lunas City Website
- Los Lunas on School Digger
- Los Lunas on Education.com
- Los Lunas Public Schools on Facebook
- Las Lunas on Teacher Salary Info
- School board
- District report card
- Labor contracts
- Background checks
- About Purchasing
- Purchasing Services
- Inspection of public records
- School Board
- News-Bulletin "Los Lunas school board to consider public comment policy"
- ABQ Journal "Bosque Farms Mom Asks Schools for Bible Elective"
- News-Bulletin "Los Lunas schools put proposed sex-ed policy on district website"
- ABQ Journal "Los Lunas School Safety Director Wants School Resource Officers Armed"
- Teacher Salary Info "Los Lunas Public Schools"
- News Bulletin "LL Superintendent gets contract extension"
- News-Bulletin "Los Lunas school budget drops 22 jobs, class sizes expand"
- District Report Card
- District Report Card
State of New Mexico
Santa Fe (capital)
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | State Auditor | Secretary of Education | Superintendent of Insurance | Secretary of Agriculture | Secretary of Energy, Minerals and Natural Resources | Secretary of Workforce Solutions | Chairman of Public Regulation Commission |