Louis R. Jones
|Virginia Beach City Council, District Bayside|
|Years in position||32|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 4, 2014|
|Mayor of Virginia Beach|
|Bachelor's||Old Dominion University|
Jones holds a B.S. in Business Administration from Old Dominion University. His professional experience includes owning and operating a funeral home.
On his campaign website, Jones highlighted the following issues:
Parks and recreations
- Excerpt: "Louis Jones has been a strong supporter of our city parks and recreation centers throughout the city, and that has continued in his passionate leadership for the proposed new Williams Farm Community Recreation Center in Bayside. With over 70,000 sf of building area, the Center is proposed to feature Aquatics and a water splash park, a tri-campus learning center, a skateboard park, bike trails, playfields, picnic shelters and many other community features."
- Excerpt: "Louis Jones’ steady leadership has resulted in a growing city of jobs and economic growth with one of the lowest real estate tax rates in Hampton Roads. Even through this past year, with budget revenue shortfalls, Louis Jones helped trim government spending and balance the budget without raising taxes. In fact, Louis Jones has repeatedly voted to lower taxes. He’s also supported the full funding of the schools budgets so young people get a positive start to a productive life. His prudent management of taxpayer dollars resulted in Virginia Beach attaining and retaining its AAA bond rating, which saves money for every taxpayer whenever we build a school, a road or any financed capital improvement."
- Excerpt: "Louis Jones understands how important it is for Virginia Beach to be a pro-business city. It takes safe neighborhoods, good schools, fiscally sound management of local government that keeps taxes reasonable and attracts private sector companies. Louis Jones has fought for job creation in Virginia Beach. He’s improved the city’s partnership with the military and brokered the negotiations to keep Oceana in Virginia Beach. He helped create over 15,000 Virginia Beach jobs in the last decade and has consistently voted to fully fund School Board budget requests."
|Virginia Beach City Council, District of Bayside, 2014|
|Louis R. Jones Incumbent||97.7%||68,256|
|Source: Virginia Department of Elections - Official 2014 Election Results|
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term "Louis + Jones + Virginia Beach"
- All stories may not be relevant due to the nature of the search engine.
- Virginia Beach City Council, "Biography," accessed on August 13, 2014
- Louis Jones for City Council, "Issues," accessed on September 24, 2014
- Virginia State Board of Elections, "November 4, 2014 Elections Candidacy Requirements For Local Offices," accessed May 15, 2014
- City of Virginia Beach, "Official Candidate List," accessed on September 3, 2014
|Virginia Beach City Council, District Bayside
| Succeeded by|