Lucia Mar Unified School District, California
|Lucia Mar Unified School District|
|San Luis Obispo County, California|
|Website:||School Home Page|
|Board of Education|
|Board president:||Vicki Meager|
|Term length:||4 years|
- 1 About the district
- 2 Superintendent
- 3 School board
- 4 Budget
- 5 Teacher salaries
- 6 Schools in Lucia Mar Unified School District
- 7 Academic performance
- 8 Contact information
- 9 See also
- 10 External links
- 11 References
Lucia Mar Unified School District is a school district in California that served 10,634 students during the 2013-2014 school year. This district is the 153rd-largest by enrollment in the state of California.
About the district
Lucia Mar Unified School District is located in San Luis Obispo County, California. The county seat is San Luis Obispo. San Luis Obispo County was home to 276,443 residents in 2013, according to the United States Census Bureau.
San Luis Obispo County outperformed the rest of California in terms of higher education achievement in 2012. The United States Census Bureau found that 31.5 percent of San Luis Obispo County residents aged 25 years and older had attained a bachelor's degree compared to 30.5 percent of California as a whole. The median household income for San Luis Obispo County was $59,628 compared to $61,400 for the state of California. The percentage of people below poverty level for San Luis Obispo County was 13.7 percent while it was 15.3 percent for the state of California.
Note: The United States Census Bureau considers "Hispanic or Latino" to be a place of origin rather than a race. Citizens may report both their race and their place of origin, and as a result, the percentages in each column of the racial demographics table may exceed 100 percent.
Jim Hogeboom is the superintendent of the Lucia Mar Unified School District. Prior to taking on the position, he served as assistant superintendent of the Corvallis Unified School District in Oregon. Before joining the education field, Hogeboom worked in sales and management at Boise Cascade Office Products. He later went on to work as a teacher, assistant principal and principal. Hogeboom earned his bachelor's degree in political science from the University of California at Berkeley and his teaching credential and master's degree in education from California State University at San Francisco.
The Lucia Mar Unified School District Board of Education consists of seven members elected to four-year terms by specific geographic trustee areas.
|Lucia Mar Unified Board of Education|
|Member||Trustee Area||Term Ends|
School board elections
Members of the Lucia Mar Unified Board of Education are elected by trustee areas to four-year terms on a staggered basis every even-numbered election year. Five seats, four four-year terms and one two-year term, were up for election in 2014, and three seats will be up for election in 2016.
Public participation in board meetings
The Lucia Mar Unified Board of Education does not publish its policies on public testimony during board meetings.
The table below displays the budget for Lucia Mar Unified School District.
|Expenditures by Category|
|School Year||Staff Expenses||Student Services||Operational Expenses||Debt Service||Other||Budget Total|
|Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget|
Lucia Mar Unified School District employed 495 teachers in the 2011-2012 school year. Teacher salary schedules are categorized by higher education achievement, professional development and years of service. A teacher with a bachelor's degree can earn a higher salary by pursuing graduate courses and gaining raises at credit intervals. The salary schedule also accounts for graduate degrees by providing higher starting salaries and greater potential salaries. The table below shows the salary schedule for teachers in the Lucia Mar Unified School District for the 2014-2015 school year.
|Degree level||Minimum salary ($)||Maximum salary ($)|
|B.A. + 15||41,970||54,942|
|B.A. + 30||42,246||58,888|
|B.A. + 45||42,797||62,902|
|B.A. + 60||43,347||79,375|
|B.A. + 75||43,898||80,980|
Schools in Lucia Mar Unified School District
Lucia Mar Unified School District served 10,634 students during the 2013-2014 school year. Enrollment in the district decreased by 0.6 percent from 2009 to 2013.
|Year||Enrollment||Year-to-year change (%)|
Lucia Mar Unified School District operates 18 schools, which are listed below in alphabetical order:
|Lucia Mar Unified School District|
|Arroyo Grande High School|
|Central Coast New Tech High School|
|Grover Beach Elementary|
|Grover Heights Elementary|
|Judkins Middle School|
|Lopez High School|
|Mesa Middle School|
|Nipomo High School|
|Ocean View Elementary|
|Paulding Middle School|
|Shell Beach Elementary|
California STAR program
California's Standardized Testing and Reporting (STAR) program, which includes the California Standards Tests, the California Modified Assessment and the California Alternate Performance Assessment, measures student achievement in grades two through 11 for California's academic content standards. STAR results include English-language arts and mathematics in grades two through 11, science in grades five and eight through 11 and history and social science in grades eight, 10 and 11. In high school, math and science tests reflect the course in which the student is enrolled. There are five STAR performance benchmarks to indicate a student's academic proficiency. "Proficient" or "Advanced" indicates that a student is meeting or exceeding state standards. The table below shows the percentage of students in the district who scored proficient or advanced during the 2012-2013 school year.
|STAR Results, % of Proficient/Advanced Students, 2012-2013|
|Subject||District (%)||State average (%)|
|History and Social Science||52||49|
- California school districts
- List of school districts in California
- Lucia Mar Unified School District elections (2014)
- School board elections portal
- Lucia Mar Unified School District
- Lucia Mar Unified Teachers Association
- Arroyo Grande, California
- San Luis Obispo County, California
- California Department of Education
- California School Boards Association
- Education Data Partnership, "District Reports: Accountability (API/AYP/Performance)," accessed December 3, 2014
- Education Data Partnership, "District Reports: Profile of District," accessed December 3, 2014
- United States Census Bureau, "San Luis Obispo County, California," accessed July 24, 2014
- San Luis Obispo County Clerk-Recorder, "Past Election," accessed July 24, 2014
- United States Census Bureau, "Frequently Asked Questions," accessed April 21, 2014
- Each column will add up to 100 percent after removing the "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin percentages, although rounding by the Census Bureau may make the total one- or two-tenths off from being exactly 100 percent. This Ballotpedia page provides a more detailed explanation of how the Census Bureau handles race and ethnicity in its surveys.
- Lucia Mar Unified School District, "Superintendent," accessed December 3, 2014
- Lucia Mar Unified School District, "School Board," accessed December 3, 2014
- Ed-Data, "Lucia Mar Unified School District," accessed December 9, 2014
- Education Data Partnership, "District Reports: Teacher Salaries," accessed December 3, 2014
- Lucia Mar Unified School District, "Certificated Salary Schedule, 2014-2015," accessed December 3, 2014
- Lucia Mar Unified School District, "Schools," accessed December 3, 2014
State of California
|Ballot measures by year||
1910 | 1911 | 1912 | 1914 | 1915 | 1916 | 1919 | 1920 | 1922 | 1924 | 1926 | 1928 | 1930 | 1932 | 1933 | 1934 | 1935 | 1936 | 1938 | 1939 | 1940 | 1942 | 1944 | 1946 | 1948 | 1949 | 1950 | 1952 | 1954 | 1956 | 1958 | 1960 | 1962 | 1964 | 1966 | 1968 | 1970 | 1972 | 1973 | 1974 | 1976 | 1978 | 1980 | 1982 | 1984 | 1986 | 1988 | 1990 | 1992 | 1993 | 1994 | 1996 | 1998 | 2000 | 2002 | 2003 | 2004 | 2005 | 2006 | 2006 (local) | 2008 | 2008 (local) | 2009 | 2009 (local) | 2010 | 2010 (local) | 2011 (local) | 2012 | 2012 (local) | 2014 | 2016 |
|State executive offices||
Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Controller | Treasurer | State Auditor | Superintendent of Public Instruction | Commissioner of Insurance | Secretary of Agriculture | Secretary for Natural Resources | Director of Industrial Relations | President of Public Utilities |