|Former candidate for |
|Profession||Adjunct Professor of Law|
Smith's campaign website describes him as "a life-long Republican committed to the principles of fiscal responsibility, constitutionally limited government and free markets." He previously served as a Budget Adviser and Legal Counsel to Governor Haley Barbour.
|Treasurer -- Republican primary results|
|Republican Party||Lynn Fitch||38%|
|Republican Party||Lucien Smith||29%|
|Republican Party||Lee Yancey||34%|
On his website Smith lists six issues he will address if elected:
- "stand up to politicians more interested in their politics than protecting our tax dollars and will fight against out-of-control spending and dishonest budgeting."
- "prevent the state from running up the credit card with bad debt that our children and grandchildren will be forced to pay off."
- "continue conservatively managing our state's finances, so taxes do not go up."
- "immediately address the Public Employees Retirement System's finances, to ensure the system remains solvent for our retirees without becoming a burden to taxpayers."
- "ensure the MPACT prepaid college tuition program remains open for our children without requiring a taxpayer bailout."
- "work to eliminate government waste and make government operate more efficiently, at a lower cost to the taxpayers."
- Official campaign website
- Facebook Campaign page
- Lucien Smith on Twitter
- Biography from Project Vote Smart