|Former candidate for|
Smith's campaign website described him as "a life-long Republican committed to the principles of fiscal responsibility, constitutionally limited government and free markets." He previously served as a budget adviser and legal counsel to former Governor Haley Barbour.
|Treasurer -- Republican primary results|
|Republican Party||Lynn Fitch||38%|
|Republican Party||Lee Yancey||34%|
|Republican Party||Lucien Smith||29%|
On his website Smith listed six issues he would address if elected treasurer:
- "stand up to politicians more interested in their politics than protecting our tax dollars and will fight against out-of-control spending and dishonest budgeting."
- "prevent the state from running up the credit card with bad debt that our children and grandchildren will be forced to pay off."
- "continue conservatively managing our state's finances, so taxes do not go up."
- "immediately address the Public Employees Retirement System's finances, to ensure the system remains solvent for our retirees without becoming a burden to taxpayers."
- "ensure the MPACT prepaid college tuition program remains open for our children without requiring a taxpayer bailout."
- "work to eliminate government waste and make government operate more efficiently, at a lower cost to the taxpayers."
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the terms "Lucien Smith Mississippi Treasurer."
- Some of the stories below may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of Google's news search engine.
- Official campaign website
- Facebook Campaign page
- Lucien Smith on Twitter
- Biography from Project Vote Smart