|U.S. House, Florida, District 2|
|Elections and appointments|
|Next primary||August 26, 2014|
|Next general||November 4, 2014|
is a 2014 non-affiliated candidate seeking election to the U.S. House
to represent the 2nd Congressional District
Lee lists the following themes on his campaign website:
This text is quoted verbatim from the original source. Any inconsistencies are attributed to the original source.
- Partisan Politics: "A two-party dominated system is not in the best interest of the Republic. Any time two sides are fighting, the interests of the regular people cannot be served. In 2013, we saw our 113th Congress literally shut down the country because they didn’t feel it was important to put partisanship views aside and work for the people that they are supposed to represent. How is this okay? In what world can you go to work, disagree with your coworkers and then just shut the company down and go home but still get paid? This has to be stopped."
- Campaign Contribution Limits: "I do not believe contributions toward political parties should be limitless. Instead, strict regulations should be in place that prohibits corporations from offering monetary support to political candidates. This would be a major step toward ridding the government of political corruption and favoring special interest groups and putting regular people back in power."
- Congressional Salaries: "I don't believe that politicians should be paid more than those who are willing to bleed and die in military service for our country. It is all but impossible for the interests of the majority of Americans to be properly represented when the income gap between the lawmakers and the average American is as blatant as it is now. In 2012, the median wage for an average U.S. Citizen working 40 hours per week was $48,872/year according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. Meanwhile, a Congressman's base salary is $174,000/year...That's a difference of $125,128 every year paid by your tax dollars, but we expect the congressmen to empathize with us and understand what a typical day is like for an average wage earner."
- Economy: "I believe that one of the most effective ways to restore and maintain a healthy economy is through job creation and retention. A good way to go about this is by eliminating all perks or loopholes for companies that send jobs overseas."
- Affordable Health Care: "While I believe that every American has a right to affordable healthcare, I don’t think that citizens should be punished for not wanting healthcare or have their choice of providers taken away. The Affordable Healthcare Act is the law as of now, but I would actively pursue revision, amendment and/or replacement for a better solution."
- Taxes: "I do not believe that the wealthy should be taxed at a higher or lower rate than anyone else in the country. We should establish a flat rate and eliminate loopholes. Whether you made $1 or $1,000,000, you get taxed at the same rate."
- Money in Politics: "I do not believe that the government should answer to "big business" and special interest groups who throw around the most money. The average American should not have to compete, dollar for dollar, with big businesses when it comes to having the attention of Congress."
- Civil Equality: "I do not believe the government should dabble in the moral affairs of its citizens as long as those affairs do not infringe upon the rights of other citizens. Even as a Christian I don't think the government has a right to tell anyone who they can or cannot marry. Where do we draw the line? Can we only marry blond hair and blue eyed men or women? Only marry people that are of a certain height or weight? Only marry people who like certain colors? All Americans have the right to be treated equally regardless of sex, age, race, ethnicity, nationality, sexual orientation, gender identity, or religious and political opinions. I don't believe in abortion, however, I believe that women have the right to make that moral decision themselves. I actually believe that all people are created equal and endowed with certain unalienable rights. My job as your Representative is to protect those rights, whether or not I agree with how you exercise them."
- Gun Control: "I support the 2nd Amendment in that I am for responsible ownership of firearms for recreation, hunting, and personal defense."
—Luther Lee, http://www.lutherlee4congress.com/on-the-issues-1.html
- See also: Florida's 2nd Congressional District elections, 2014
Lee is running in the 2014 election for the U.S. House to represent Florida's 2nd District. Lee is running as a non-affiliated candidate. The general election takes place November 4, 2014.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Luther + Lee + Florida + House"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
Luther Lee News Feed