Lynda Bell recall, Miami-Dade County, Florida (2013)
Two activist groups, Pets’ Voice and Miami Economic Sustainability Alliance, led the recall effort against Bell. The groups were upset at the Board of County Commissioners because they voted 8-5 to not fully fund an animal welfare plan that had received broad public support in a local non-binding referendum in November 2012. Those who opposed the plan stated a concern over the required raise in taxes needed for the funding. At the same time, recall supporters were not sure who to specifically target of the eight commissioners who voted against the plan, which included: Bruno Barreiro, Lynda Bell, Esteban Bovo, Jose "Pepe" Diaz, Xavier Suarez, Rebeca Sosa, Javier Souto and Juan C. Zapata. After pulling a name from a hat, the group decided to focus on Lynda Bell. Bell was noted by one newspaper blogger to be the county's most conservative commissioner.
Path to the ballot
- See also: Laws governing recall in Florida
On September 9, Miami-Dade Clerk of Courts Harvey Ruvin rejected the recall petition against Bell on multiple technical points. Recall supporters stated they would fix the issues and resubmit the petition.
Recall supporters said they would wait to refile the petition until after the new budget was released.
- Recall campaigns in Florida
- Political recall efforts, 2013
- County commission recalls
- Miami-Dade Animal Services Property Tax Increase Advisory Question (November 2012)
- NBC 6 South Florida, "Activists File Recall Petition For Miami-Dade Commissioner After They Pull Name of a Hat," September 6, 2013
- Miami New Times, "Animal Activists Looking to Recall a County Commissioner Will Pick a Name Out of a Hat," September 6, 2013
- Miami Herald, "Clerk of courts dismisses filing to begin recall drive of Miami-Dade Commissioner Lynda Bell," September 9, 2013 (dead link)
- Miami Herald, "Activists target Miami-Dade Commissioner Lynda Bell for recall," September 6, 2013
- Miami-Dade County, "Information Package for Charter Review Task Force - Issue 5," September 4, 2007
- Eye on Miami Blog, "Update on the Recall of Lynda Bell," September 11, 2013
State of Florida
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Chief Financial Officer | Commissioner of Education | Commissioner of Agriculture and Consumer Services | Commissioner of Insurance Regulation | Secretary of Environmental Protection | Director of Economic Opportunity | Chair of Public Service Commission |