|Lynn J. House|
|Mississippi Superintendent of Education|
|Former Interim officeholder|
|July 1, 2012-November 1, 2013|
|Elections and appointments|
|Appointed by||Mississippi Board of Education|
|Deputy Superintendent for Instructional Enhancement and Internal Operations, Mississippi Department of Education|
|Bachelor's||University of New Orleans|
|Ph.D.||University of Mississippi|
|Profession||Teacher and Education Administrator|
Prior to her appointment, House worked for the Mississippi Department of Education as the Deputy Superintendent for Instructional Enhancement and Internal Operations since 2010. She also has worked in Louisiana for the Board of Regents as the Deputy Commissioner for Academic and Student Affairs.
On Sept. 25, 2013, the Board of Education selected Carey Wright to formally succeed Burnham as the next state superintendent. After Wright took over the office, House retired from the Mississippi Department of Education.
House has 37 years experience as an educator in K-12. She has also worked on the collegiate level, serving as a professor, program director, chair and dean at both private and public universities.
She holds a bachelor's degree from the University of New Orleans, a Master's from Furman University and a PhD from University of Mississippi.
- Bachelor’s degree, University of New Orleans
- Master’s degree, Furman University
- Doctorate, University of Mississippi
Interim Mississippi Superintendent of Education (2012 - 2013)
Creation of Mississippi Charter School Authorizing Board
On July 1, 2013, Mississippi's expanded charter school law took effect. One of the requirements of the law is the establishment of the Mississippi Charter School Authorizing Board, a seven member board in charge of determining criteria for charter schools, approving applications and other responsibilities. The law requires that the governor and lieutenant governor each appoint three of the board members. The seventh remaining board member is appointed by the Superintendent of Education.
On August 12, 2013, Governor Phil Bryant made his three appointments to the board. Lieutenant Governor Tate Reeves had not yet announced his appointments. House appointed herself as the seventh member of the board. House consulted with the Mississippi Board of Education before making the decision to fill the position herself. It is likely that she will only serve in the position until a permanent Superintendent of Education is named. The Board of Education has indicated it was likely to make the appointment in the fall of 2013.
359 North West Street, Suite 309
Jackson, MS 39205
PO Box 771
Jackson, MS 39205-0771
House and her husband Stan live in Madison, Mississippi. Together they have two sons and three granddaughters.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Lynn + House + Mississippi + Education"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Former interim Superintendent Lynn House to leave Mississippi Department of ... - The Republic
- What's Happening for JANUARY (Updated Jan. 25) - SunHerald.com
- What's Happening for JANUARY (Updated Jan. 24) - SunHerald.com
- Events in Westchester for Jan. 26 to Feb. 1 - New York Times
- What's Happening for JANUARY (Updated Jan. 23) - SunHerald.com
- What's Happening for JANUARY (Updated Jan. 22) - SunHerald.com
- What's Happening for JANUARY (Updated Jan. 21) - SunHerald.com
- Mississippi Briefs - SunHerald.com
- America's Tiniest Engineers: Report from Greenville, South Carolina - The Atlantic
- What's Happening for JANUARY (Updated Jan. 20) - SunHerald.com
- Mississippi Business Journal "Board to name House interim state superintendent of education," May 18, 2012
- Gulf Live, "Carey Wright of Maryland named new State Superintendent of Education," September 25, 2013
- Mississippi Department of Education "Interim State Superintendent of Education," Accessed December 24, 2012
- WDAM 7, "Laurel resident appointed to charter school board," accessed August 15, 2013
- Gulf Live, "AP analysis: Leaders must name board members of Mississippi's new Charter School Authorizing Board," accessed August 15, 2013
- Daily Journal, "Interim Miss. education superintendent to serve on charter school board, at least temporarily," accessed August 15, 2013
|Mississippi Superintendent of Education
| Succeeded by|