Maine 2012 ballot measures
2012 ballot in the state of Maine.
- The statewide petition drive deadline for ballot initiatives seeking ballot access in 2012 was January 30, 2012.
- The state signature requirement for indirect initiated state statutes was 57,277.
- Only one ballot initiative submitted signatures for ballot consideration by the deadline.
- The Maine Legislature convened the 2012 state legislative session starting January 4, 2012, and adjourned on April 18, 2012.
On the ballot
The following measures made it onto the 2012 statewide ballot:
|IndISS||Question 1||Marriage||Would legalize same-sex marriage in the state.|
|LRSS||Question 2||Bond issues||$11 million bond for higher education in order to expand the state's community college system.|
|LRSS||Question 3||Bond issues||One of two measures that would allow for a bond for water and sewer projects in the state.|
|LRSS||Question 4||Bond issues||Allow for a $51 million transportation bond, most of it to pay for road and bridge repairs in the state.|
|LRSS||Question 5||Bond issues||One of two measures that would allow for a bond for water and sewer projects in the state.|
Not on ballot
The following measures did not make the ballot in 2012:
|IndISS||Renewable Energy Resources Initiative||Energy||State utilities to get 20% of power from renewable energy sources by 2020.|
|IndISS||Campaign Promises Question||Campaigns||Deals with public office campaigns and campaign promises.|
|IndISS||Forest Industry Employment Question||Labor||Deals with employment opportunities for state workers in the forest industry.|
|IndISS||Minimum Sentence for Sex Offenders Question||Law enforcement||Minimum sentence for offenders who commit crime against victim 12 or under|
|IndISS||Electronic Beano Question||Gambling||Would authorize two Indian tribes to conduct electronic Beano.|
|Legislature Decrease Amendment||State legislatures||Would reduce the number of legislators in both chambers of the Maine Legislature.|
|LRSS||Voter Identification Question||Elections||Would mandate that identification be shown before residents vote in an election.|
|LRSS||Research and Development Question||Bond issues||Would mandate that identification be shown before residents vote in an election.|
Local ballot measures
- See also: Local ballot measure elections in 2012
No local measures have been identified for 2012. Read about local happenings here.
- 2012 ballot measures
- List of Maine ballot measures
- Laws governing the initiative process in Maine
- Maine Legislature