Maine Bigelow Mountain Public Preserve (1976)
The Maine Bigelow Mountain Public Preserve Initiative was on the June 8, 1976 ballot in Maine as an indirect initiated state statute, where it was approved. The measure established a public preserve in the Bigelow Mountain area. It passed. It was the twelfth initiative to appear on the ballot in Maine subsequent to the time that initiative and referendum was approved as a process in Maine in 1908.
The idea for the initiative was inspired by the news that the Flagstaff Corporation, a ski resort developer, was planning to purchase land around the Bigelow Mountain and develop a destination ski resort. The supporters of the initiative reasoned that if the government purchased the land and used it to establish a nature conservancy, the land would be permanently prohibited from development.
|Maine Bigelow Mountain Public Preserve Initiative (1976)|
Election results via: Maine State Law and Legislative Reference Library, Votes on Initiated Bills, 1910-
Text of measure
The language appeared on the ballot as:
"Shall an Initiated Bill 'An Act to establish a Public Preserve in the Bigelow Mountain Area' become Law?" 
Path to the ballot
Supporters of the Bigelow Mountain Initiative discovered that by circulating petitions by polling places on election day, it was possible to obtain 25,000 or more signatures in one day--and the signatures would tend to include a much higher percentage of registered voters than with normal circulation techniques, since the petition circulators would know by who showed up to vote who was registered. The initiative coordinator for this effort was Lance Tapley.
- Maine 1976 ballot measures
- 1976 ballot measures
- List of Maine ballot measures
- History of Initiative & Referendum in Maine
- Maine State Law and Legislative Reference Library, Votes on Initiated Bills, 1910-
- I&R Institute ballot measure database for Maine
- Maine State Law and Legislative Reference Library, "Votes on Initiated Bills, 1910-," accessed April 17, 2014
- INITIATED BILL to be voted upon by the People of the STATE OF MAINE pursuant to proclamation by the Governor, "AN ACT to Establish a Public Preserve in the Bigelow Mountain Area," accessed April 17, 2014
- Judd, R. W. & Beach, C.S. (2003). "Natural States: The Environmental Imagination in Maine, Oregon, and the Nation." Washington, DC: Resources for the Future.
- Note: This text is quoted verbatim from the original source. Any inconsistencies are attributed to the original source.
- Potholm, C.P. (2003). "This Splendid Game: Maine campaigns and elections." Oxford, UK: Lexington Books. pp. 140-141
State of Maine
|State executive officers||
Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | State Auditor | Commissioner of Education | Superintendent of Insurance | Commissioner of Agriculture | Commissioner of Conservation | Commissioner of Labor | Chairman of Public Utilities |