Maine Energy Conservation Improvements, Referendum Question No. 2 (1980)

From Ballotpedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Voting on Energy
Energy.jpg
Policy
Energy policy
Ballot Measures
By state
By year
Not on ballot
Maine
LawsHistory
List of measures

The Maine Energy Conservation Improvements Bond Issue, also known as Referendum Question No. 2, was on the November 4, 1980 ballot in Maine as a legislatively-referred bond question, where it was approved.[1] The measure issued $7 million in bonds for energy conservation improvements for public school buildings and the University of Maine. For public elementary and secondary schools, the state provided 90 percent of the funds, while the local school units would be responsible for the remaining 10 percent. In total, $5 million of the bonds were allocated for these schools. The University of Maine received the remaining $2 million without a similar funds matching condition. The measure also allowed for retroactive reimbursement of conservation improvements to public school buildings undertaken since November 8, 1978 if they met certain criteria.[2][3]

Background

This measure was the third time a ballot measure was voted upon and approved for the purposes of making energy conservation improvements to public buildings. The first time was in 1977. That measure issued up to $10 million in bonds for energy conservation improvements to state owned buildings and public school buildings.[1][4] The second measure issued $2.5 million in bonds for energy conservation improvements for local government buildings in 1979.[1][5]

Aftermath

Another measure was voted upon and approved in 1981 which issued $2 million for energy conversation improvements to state-owned buildings.[1]

Election results

Maine Referendum Question No. 2 (1980)
ResultVotesPercentage
Approveda Yes 317,033 66.45%
No160,06733.55%

Election results via: Maine State Law and Legislative Reference Library, Votes on Maine Bond Issues, 1951-

Text of measure

The language appeared on the ballot as:[3]

"Shall a bond issue be ratified in the amount of $7,000,000 for energy conservation improvements for public school buildings and the University of Maine?" [6]

Similar measures

See also

BP-Initials-UPDATED.png
Suggest a link

External links

References