The Maine Energy Conservation Improvements Bond Issue, also known as Referendum Question No. 5, was on the December 5, 1977 ballot in Maine as a legislatively-referred bond question, where it was approved. The measure issued up to $10 million in bonds for energy conservation improvements to state owned buildings and public school buildings. These bonds were to cover 100 percent of the costs for improvements to state departments and agencies and 90 percent of the costs for public schools. The remaining 10 percent of funding for such improvements for public schools was to come from local school units.
This measure was the first time such energy conservation efforts for public buildings was voted upon. A second measure was voted upon in 1979 for energy conservation improvements for local government buildings. That measure was also approved. A third measure was voted upon and approved in 1980. That measure provided $7 million in bonds for energy conservation improvements for public school buildings and the University of Maine. A fourth measure was voted upon and approved in 1981 which issued $2 million for energy conversation improvements to state-owned buildings.
| Maine Referendum Question No. 5 (1977)|
| Yes|| 131,514|| 62.13%|
Election results via: Maine State Law and Legislative Reference Library, Votes on Maine Bond Issues, 1951-
Text of measure
The language appeared on the ballot as:
"Shall, 'AN ACT to Authorize a Bond Issue in the Amount of $10,000,000 for Energy Conservation Improvements for State-owned Buildings and Public School Buildings,' as passed by the First Regular Session of the 108th Legislature, be approved?"
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 'Maine State Law and Legislative Reference Library, "Votes on Maine Bond Issues, 1951-," accessed April 17, 2014
- ↑ Bangor Daily News, "Specimen Ballot," November 28, 1977
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Private and Special Laws of the State of Maine As Passed at the First Regular Session of the One Hundred and Eighth Legislature, "Chapter 72," accessed April 17, 2014
- ↑ [Private and Special Laws the State of Maine As Passed at the First Regular Session of the One Hundred and Ninth Legislature, "Chapter 60," accessed April 22, 2014
- ↑ Private and Special Laws the State of Maine As Passed at the Second Regular Session of the One Hundred and Ninth Legislature, "Chapter 108," accessed April 23, 2014
- ↑ Note: This text is quoted verbatim from the original source. Any inconsistencies are attributed to the original source.