Maine 1995 ballot measures
- One of the measure was an indirect initiated state statute.
- Four of the measures were legislatively-referred bond questions.
- Two of the measures were legislatively-referred constitutional amendments.
- One of the measures was a legislatively-referred state statute.
- Seven of the measures were approved and one was defeated.
Two indirect initiated state statutes did not appear on the ballot, although their sponsors collected enough signatures. This was because, as per the laws governing the initiative process in Maine, the state legislature exercised its rights to enact the legislation proposed in the initiatives. When this happens, the initiatives do not appear on the ballot because they have already been enacted.
- See also: Initiatives not on the ballot
On the ballot
|IndISS||Question 1||Civil Rights||Prevents legislature from adding additional protected classes under state's anti-discrimination laws|
|BI||Question 2||Transportation||Issues $58.9 million in bonds for improvements to highways, state and local bridges, airports and cargo ports|
|BI||Question 3||Utilities||Issues $15 million in bonds to fund local telecommunications infrastructure and classroom technology equipment|
|BI||Question 4||Housing||Issues $4 million in bonds to provide housing for people with mental illness|
|BI||Question 5||Water||Issues $14 million in bond to protect drinking water resources by capping solid waste landfill and removing of underground storage tank|
|Question 6||Pension||Requires sound funding of the Maine State Retirement System|
|Question 7||State Exec||Gives governor line-item veto power on budgetary issues|
|LRSS||Question 8||Transportation||Requires all persons four and older to wear safety belts in vehicles|
Initiatives not on the ballot
- An Act to Repeal the Motor Vehicle Emission Program, which was later repealed
- An Act to Establish the Outdoor Heritage Fund
- Election results for the Maine 1995 ballot measures
- Maine State Law and Legislative Reference Library, Votes on Initiated Bills 1980-
- Maine State Law and Legislative Reference Library, Votes on Maine Bond Issues, 1951-
- Maine State Law and Legislative Reference Library, Proposed Constitutional Amendments 1820-
- Maine State Law and Legislative Reference Library, Referenda Votes on Acts of the Maine Legislature 1910-
State of Maine
|State executive officers||
Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | State Auditor | Commissioner of Education | Superintendent of Insurance | Commissioner of Agriculture | Commissioner of Conservation | Commissioner of Labor | Chairman of Public Utilities |