Maine House of Representatives District 8
|Maine House of Representatives District 8|
|Current incumbent||Christopher Babbidge|
|Ethnicity||0.5% Black, 0.8% Hispanic|
|Voting age||77.8% age 18 and over|
|Next election||November 8, 2016|
As of the 2010 census, a total of 8,035 civilians reside within Maine's eighth state house district. Maine state representatives represent an average of 8,682 residents. After the 2000 Census, each member represented 8,333 residents.
About the chamber
Section 4 of Part 1 of Article 4 of the Maine Constitution states, "Qualifications; residency requirement. No person shall be a member of the House of Representatives, unless the person shall, at the commencement of the period for which the person is elected, have been 5 years a citizen of the United States, have arrived at the age of 21 years, have been a resident in this State one year; and for the 3 months next preceding the time of this person's election shall have been, and, during the period for which elected, shall continue to be a resident in the district which that person represents."
- See also: Comparison of state legislative salaries
As of 2013, members of the Maine legislature are paid $13,852/year (first regular session) and $9,661/year (second regular session). Legislators receive $38/day per diem for one of two options: housing or mileage and tolls. Additionally, legislators receive $32/day for meals.
- See also: State legislatures with term limits
The Maine legislature is one of 15 state legislatures with term limits. Voters enacted the Maine Term Limits Act in 1993. That initiative said that Maine representatives are subject to term limits of no more than four two-year terms, or a total of eight years.
If there is a vacancy in the house, a special election must be held to fill the vacant seat. The Governor must call for an election and allow all political committees representing the vacant seat to set all deadlines. The person elected to the seat serves for the remainder of the unexpired term.
Elections for the office of Maine House of Representatives took place in 2014. A primary election took place on June 10, 2014, and a general election was held on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for party candidates wishing to run in this election was March 17, 2014. The deadline for write-in candidates to run in the primary election was April 28, 2014, and the deadline for non-party candidates to run in the general election was June 2, 2014. The deadline for write-in candidates to run in the general election was September 22, 2014. Christopher Babbidge was unopposed in the Democratic primary. Edward Karytko was unopposed in the Republican primary. Babbidge defeated Karytko in the general election.
|Maine House of Representatives District 8, General Election, 2014|
Elections for the office of Maine House of Representatives consisted of a primary election on June 12, 2012, and a general election on November 6, 2012. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was March 15, 2012. Incumbent Joyce Ann Fitzpatrick (R) defeated Patrick Hunt (D) in the general election. Neither candidate faced opposition in their primary.
|Maine House of Representatives, District 8, General Election, 2012|
|Republican||Joyce Fitzpatrick Incumbent||70%||2,308|
Since 2000, candidates for Maine House of Representatives District 8 have raised a total of $75,623. Candidates who raised money in contributions earned $5,402 on average. All figures come from Follow the Money.
|Campaign contributions, Maine House of Representatives District 8|
|* Campaign finance data for 2012 is incomplete for this district.|
- For more information on the parameters the U.S. Census Bureau use, please see our Race and Ethnicity on the United States Census page.
- publicmapping.org, "Maine 2010 Census Selected Statistics," accessed October 17, 2013
- ncsl.org, "Chart of Term Limits States," accessed December 16, 2013
- NCSL.org, "2012 State Legislator Compensation and Per Diem Table," accessed March 18, 2013
- Maine Legislature, "Maine Election Law," accessed December 16, 2013(Referenced Statute 21A-381)
- Maine Legislature, "Maine Election Law," accessed December 16, 2013(Referenced Statute 21A-382)
- Maine Legislature, "Constitution of Maine," accessed December 16, 2013(Referenced Section Article IV, Section 5)
- Maine Legislature, "Maine Election Law," accessed December 16, 2013(Referenced Statute 21A-361)
- Bureau of Corporations, Elections & Commissions, "List of Primary Candidates," accessed May 8, 2014
- Bureau of Corporations, Elections & Commissions, "List of Non-Party Candidates," accessed June 2, 2014
- Bureau of Corporations, Elections & Commissions, "Primary Election - June 10, 2014," accessed December 5, 2014
- Bureau of Corporations, Elections & Commissions, "General Election - November 4, 2014," accessed December 5, 2014
- "Maine Secretary of State - Official primary results," accessed October 17, 2013
- "Maine Secretary of State - Official general election results," accessed October 17, 2013
State of Maine
|State executive officers||
Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | State Auditor | Commissioner of Education | Superintendent of Insurance | Commissioner of Agriculture | Commissioner of Conservation | Commissioner of Labor | Chairman of Public Utilities |