Maine Machias and South Windham Correctional Facilities, Question 1 (2002)
The Maine Machias and South Windham Correctional Facilities Bond Issue, also known as Question , was on the November 5, 2002 ballot in Maine as a legislatively-referred bond question, where it was defeated. The measure would have issued $25 million in bonds to fund a new correctional facility in Machias and to make improvements to the Maine Correctional Center in South Windham.
|Maine Question 1 (2002)|
Text of measure
The language appeared on the ballot as:
Do you favor a $25,000,000 bond issue to raise funds to build a new correctional facility in Machias and to make improvements to the Maine Correctional Center in South Windham? 
The following description of the intent and content of this measure was provided in the Maine Citizen's Guide to the Referendum Election:
This Act would authorize the State to issue bonds in an amount not to exceed $25,000,000 to raise funds for two correctional facility projects. The bonds would run for a period not longer than 10 years from the date of issue and would be backed by the full faith and credit of the State.
Proceeds of the sale of the bonds would be expended by the Department of Corrections for the following projects in the following amounts: $13,900,000 to construct a new minimum security correctional facility in Machias that will replace the Downeast Correctional Facility in Bucks Harbor; and $11,100,000 to make various improvements to the correctional facility in South Windham, including modernization of existing buildings, the construction of an infirmary and extended care unit for special needs prisoners, and improvements to the intake and reception areas and to security at the facility.
If approved, the bond authorization would take effect 30 days after the Governor's proclamation of the vote.
A statement of the Treasurer describing the financial considerations of this bond issue is published together with this statement.
A "YES" vote approves the authorization of a $25,000,000 bond issue to finance these correctional facility projects.
A "NO" vote disapproves the bond issue. 
The total estimated life time cost of the bonds was $31,393,750, with $25,000,000 in principal and $6,393,750 in interest, assuming interest at 4.65% over 10 years.
- Maine 2002 ballot measures
- 2002 ballot measures
- List of Maine ballot measures
- History of Initiative & Referendum in Maine
- Maine Citizen's Guide to the Referendum Election, Tuesday, November 5, 2002 from Maine Secretary of State
- Maine State Law and Legislative Reference Library, Votes on Maine Bond Issues, 1951-
- Maine Secretary of State, Division of Elections, "Maine Citizen's Guide to the Referendum Election, Tuesday, November 5, 2002," accessed May 6, 2014
- Maine Secretary of State, Elections Division, "Referendum Election Tabulations, November 5, 2002," accessed May 6, 2014
- Note: This text is quoted verbatim from the original source. Any inconsistencies are attributed to the original source.