Maine casino vote recount effort dropped by opponents
According to reports, about a fifth of the ballots had been re-tallied when challengers called off the recount. Dennis Bailey, executive director of CasinosNo!, said, "We decided we had seen enough. We just were not seeing any big changes. But if we hadn't done the recount, we would have always wondered. After all, it was one of the closest voting margins in state history."
The recount was initiated by opponents of the measure shortly following the November 2 general election. According to reports, if a recount had not been pursued a legal challenge would have been filed by opponents.
However, the end of the recount does not mark the end of future challenges for Question 1. On Monday, December 13, opponents announced that they plan to focus their efforts on a possible legal challenge. The group argues that portions of the legislation appear unconstitutional.
In the mean time, Black Bear Entertainment is moving forward. The company said they expect to start construction in June 2011 and have the first phase of the casino running in 2012.
- Sun Journal, "Oxford casino opponents fold on recount," December 13, 2010
- The Portland Press Herald, "Maine casino opponents give up recount challenge," December 14, 2010
- Maine Public Broadcasting Network, "Recount Considered as Oxford County Casino Wins by a Hair," November 3, 2010
- The Maine Public Broadcasting Network, "Casino Opponents Give up on Recount," December 13, 2010