Cities in Maine
Maine allows municipal charter cities and counties. There are 16 total counties in Maine. Of those 16:
Types of local government
Local government in Maine consists of:
504 General Purpose units, including:
- 16 Counties
- 22 Cities
- 432 Towns
- 34 Plantations
337 Special Purpose units, including:
Counties may be:
- Home rule charter: of which there are 3 (Cumberland, Arrostook, and Knox County).
- General Law: of which there are 13.
Cities and towns: Cities and towns have home rule authority through the second part of Article VIII of the Maine Constitution.
- All 22 Cities have a charter.
- Towns may adopt a charter to fully exercise home rule powers. 53 have done so.
Initiative process availability
- Towns and plantations that use the town-meeting form of government have a mandated initiative-like process to place articles in the warrant, have proposals considered at the town meeting, and place articles on the next ballot.
- Charter cities have authority to adopt an initiative process for ordinances.
- City and town charters may be amended through a mandated initiative process.
10 most populated cities
|List of Most Populated Cities in Maine|
|City||Population||City Type||Next election|
Full List of Cities
|A guide to local ballot initiatives|
As of the 2010 Census, there are 488 incorporated cities and towns in Maine. However, the list of cities below refers specifically to cities -- excluding towns. Population figures below are based on the updated estimates as of July 1, 2011.
|List of Cities and Population in Maine|
- Local Government Types and Numbers Research Spreadsheet
- The U.S. Census Bureau's 2012 study of local governments
- Maine Municipal Association, "Local Government in Maine", published 1979 and updated in 2005
- Herman, Geoffrey, Municipal Charters, A Comparative Analysis of 75 Maine Charters, Maine Townsman, 1992
- Ballotpedia: Types and #'s of local government by state
- US Census Bureau "City and Town Totals: Vintage 2011 (Population figures as of 2011 Census estimates)
- US Census, "March 2011 Estimate of Maine cities"