|Illinois Director of Natural Resources|
|June 1, 2009 - Present|
|Years in position||4|
|Elections and appointments|
|Appointed||February 5, 2009|
|Appointed by||Governor Pat Quinn (D)|
|Bachelor's||Eastern Illinois University (1991)|
|Master's||University of Illinois at Springfield (1996)|
|Birthday||March 7, 1969|
Miller worked as a watershed organizer for Prairie Rivers Network from 1999 to 2004, was an Environmental Compliance Specialist/Intern for Kal Kan Foods from 1998-2009, a research and production intern at CNN in 1995, and an intern/volunteer for the Illinois Environmental Council from 1993-1994.
In 2004, Miller became Senior policy advisor to then-Lt. Gov. Pat Quinn. Miller served as liaison to the Illinois River Coordinating Council for the lieutenant governor’s office, worked on the “Mud to Parks" program, worked to secure funding for Conservation Reserve Enhancement Program, helped create coordinating councils for Mississippi and Ohio and Wabash Rivers, and promoted “green infrastructure” in urban areas in cooperation with the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.
- Bachelor's degree, political science, Eastern Illinois University, 1991
- Master's degree, environmental administration, University of Illinois at Springfield, 1996
Director of Natural Resources (2009-Present)
Miller has served as Illinois Director of Natural Resources since 2009.
In May 2012, Miller said he would work with sportsmen to fix problems at the Department of Natural Resources, especially the budget. Issuing a warning that the DNR was continually being squeezed out of the budget, he asked all sportsmen and sportswomen to contact their legislators and demand the situation be fixed.
Miller stated, "here is the candid reality… decades-old problems with underfunding the pension obligations and the growing backlog of Medicaid bills threaten every aspect of state government programs, including DNR."
Miller was appointed as Illinois Director of Natural Resources by Gov. Pat Quinn (D) on February 5, 2009. “Marc Miller is an expert in managing and protecting our state’s precious natural resources and will run a very professional agency. In addition, Marc is an avid outdoorsman dedicated to promoting the public’s safe use and greater understanding of our state’s parks, waterways and other natural resources,” Quinn said.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Marc + Miller + Illinois + Resources"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Illinois plans for return of wildlife like cougars - Chicago Tribune
- Proposed fracking rules in Illinois raise ire of environmentalists - Chicago Tribune
- Read the transcript of our chat with Marc Miller, director of the Illinois ... - Rockford Register Star
- Hydraulic fracturing at least a year away in state, IDNR boss says - Agri News
- Stop signs for late-winter doe seasons difficult to ignore - Chicago Sun-Times
- My View: Natural land a precious resource that must be saved - Rockford Register Star
- Club news for the week of Dec. 5 - Suburban Journals
- Hunters Head To Field For Firearm Deer Season - Effingham's News Leader
- Careful what you say - The Capitol Fax Blog (blog)
- IL State Police and DNR Announce Upcoming Open Range Program - WIFR
<ref> tags exist, but no
<references/> tag was found
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 IGNN, "DNR Announcement - Marc Miller To Head Illinois Department of Natural Resources," February 5, 2009
- ↑ Illinois.gov, "Marc Miller Background," accessed September 22, 2012
- ↑ State Journal-Register, "Profile of Marc Miller," February 6, 2009
- ↑ Deer and Deer Hunting, "DNR Director Blasts State Legislators," May 9, 2012
|Illinois Director of Natural Resources
June 2009 – Present
| Succeeded by|