Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|City Council of Hialeah, Florida|
- See also: Hialeah city council elections, 2013
Miralles ran in the 2013 election for the city council of Hialeah, Florida, council-member Group VI. He lost to incumbent Paul "Pablito" Hernandez in the nonpartisan primary on November 5, 2013.
|City Council of Hialeah Florida (Group 6), 2013|
|Non-partisan||Paul Hernanez Incumbent||76.2%||12,684|
|Source: Miami Dade County Board of Elections|
As of 2013, Hialeah's elected council members were given a pension after they reached the age of 55 and if they had completed 12 years or more of service on the city council. A ballot measure putting an end to this pension plan for future candidates and requiring voter approval for any future changes in city official pension plans was approved on November 5, 2013. Some said that this ballot measure was nothing more than an electoral tool, used to manipulate voters with regard to the mayoral and city council member races.
Miralles announced support for the pension question. He also criticized it for not doing enough and ignoring the problem of large pensions being received by current retirees. Miralles criticized the city council for using this measure for political posturing, when it does not, in fact, solve the pension issues of the city. Despite Miralles saying the measure does not go far enough and is not much more than a political trick, he did acknowledge that the referendum is a good one and encouraged a "yes" vote from electors on November 5.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Marcos + Miralles + Hialeah"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Miami Dade County Elections "Official Primary and Special Elections Ballot for November 5, 2013"
- Miami Herald "Hialeah incumbents are easy victors," November 5, 2013
- Miami Dade County Election Results "November 5, 2013"
- Examiner.com, "Vote YES on Hialeah Pension Referendum," October 13, 2013
- Marcos For Hialeah campaign website, Blog, Time For Honesty video" August 27, 2013